Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 04:27:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  New to this...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New to this...  (Read 5107 times)
atsioukl
« on: March 19, 2007, 10:56:09 PM »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to hatching and raising quail.  I have been incubating 9 courtineaux eggs in a GQF Chick-Bator (mini).  They are suppose to hatch tomorrow.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  I have also started building a coop to keep them in when they are old enough.  I've attached a link to pictures of both my incubator setup and also my coop.  Would like to know what everyone thinks.  For those that are interested, my coop is 5' wide X 2.5' deep X 2.5' tall.  It has 2 doors in the front and will be finished with 1/4 wire mesh.
I am really looking forward to raising these guys.  I'll keep adding pics as they become available.

Anthony

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=tsah9fm.8zvgloau&Uy=-vczcfb&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 04:37:27 AM »

You are going to need a sheltered area in the coop if it is going to be outside
JohnInDixon
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 08:56:51 AM »

I think 1/4 inch wire is too small! You'll be scraping poo when they get older (not long!) 1/2 in would be better in my experience.  I use 1/4 in my brooder and when the birds are about 3 - 4 weeks old, they're pluggin up the holes.

Coop looks good too, but I think I'd lose the plywood bottom portion for the same reason.  They don't care where they poo and don't mind stepping through it either.

G'luck.

John
atsioukl
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:00:09 PM »

Thanks for the info guys.  I had planned on adding a solid roof of some sort (other than wire mesh) to the top of the coop.  Just haven't gotten than far yet. I was also going to add an enclosed are within the coop so they will have a place to lay eggs.  Not sure if this is a good idea though.  Any thoughts?

I'm glad you guys mentioned the 1/4" mesh and that it clogs because I started installing the mesh to the sides of the coop today.  I'll make sure to run out and get a roll of 1/2" mesh for the bottom!

On a side note, my first two of nine eggs started hatching today!  One is really on the move but the other has stopped for now.  Hopefully he's just taking a break.  I have my humidity set at almost 80%.  I can't seem to get it any higher than that.  Do you think this should be ok?

Thanks,

Anthony
kingsteen
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:57:03 PM »

Hi,

This my first posting and am just getting started in raising quail. Have just built a 16' x  16' pen 8' high. Will have at least one box 4x4x7' long box inside cage. Cage is off the ground about 2'. The cage is completely secure with a 6 gage wire wrapped with 1/2" mesh. am interested in raising quail to eventually release to get a working covey or two. Am wondering about what type of seed plant or shrubs I should plant for trying to hold the quail through winter months. I leave in eastern Iowa. I was told one shrub might be high bred cranberries? Should would appreciate any advise I can get. Am planning on adding a flyway and another pen. Have been working for a variety of cover on my farm.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 11:41:18 PM »

Hi,

This my first posting and am just getting started in raising quail. Have just built a 16' x  16' pen 8' high. Will have at least one box 4x4x7' long box inside cage. Cage is off the ground about 2'. The cage is completely secure with a 6 gage wire wrapped with 1/2" mesh. am interested in raising quail to eventually release to get a working covey or two. Am wondering about what type of seed plant or shrubs I should plant for trying to hold the quail through winter months. I leave in eastern Iowa. I was told one shrub might be high bred cranberries? Should would appreciate any advise I can get. Am planning on adding a flyway and another pen. Have been working for a variety of cover on my farm.

This may help you.....or you may have already read it:

http://www.wnrmag.com/stories/2003/feb03/plots.htm

Also, posting your own topic under, say,  "Brooding and Raising", may get you more responses?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
atsioukl
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 09:35:39 AM »

Trailboss,

I haev a question for you.  I presently have 2 of 8 eggs hatching.  One both started yesterday morning but one has not moved for a day.  The other is almost completely out.  Do you think the one has died in the shell?  Shall I leave it or remove it?  The other 6 appear to be doing nothing :(

Thanks,

Anthony
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 10:59:55 AM »

Trailboss,

I haev a question for you.  I presently have 2 of 8 eggs hatching.  One both started yesterday morning but one has not moved for a day.  The other is almost completely out.  Do you think the one has died in the shell?  Shall I leave it or remove it?  The other 6 appear to be doing nothing :(

Thanks,

Anthony

My guess would be that it didn't make it. If it partially hatched and then hasn't moved for a day, I'd say it's deceased.  Be sure your humidity is up...about 80%.  It usually takes the majority of eggs only a short period of time (10-20 minutes or less) to hatch once they start.....not a whole day.  Your humidity may be too low and they are sticking to the membrane in the shell.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
atsioukl
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 01:00:02 PM »

Thanks Trailboss,

My humidity reads just shy of 80% (78% to be exact).  Can't seem to get it higher.  Any trick for raising humidity?  I've got a piece of wet sponge in the bottom of the incubator.  Should I add more?
JohnInDixon
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 04:21:25 PM »

Anything you do now will open the little container and lose precious humidity that is vital for the hatch. It keeps them from sticking to the inside of the egg and ultimately dying.  They start off with enough food to keep them for about 3 days.  Don't open the little saucer more than once/day.

G'luck...John
atsioukl
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 07:20:32 PM »

Thanks John. 

Well, one chic popped out today.  I removed the emtpy egg to make room. I also removed the one egg which the chic had tried to peck it's way out of.  Sad to say that the chic had died.  To my surprise, however, a third chic pecked it's way out a minute ago.  He came fast!  Here's some pics...
How long do I leave them in the incubator now?  One day, two?

Anthony
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 10:23:13 PM »

I would leave them in there for as long as possible. Don't open it if you don't have too. As John mentioned........maintaining a constant humidity level is of upmost importance right now. The membrane will adhere itself to the chicks almost immediately when exposed to outside air, practically impossible to get loose, especially those whom have started opening the shell. I'd leave them in ther for at least 24 hrs and hopefully you'll have more hatched by then.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »