Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:45:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Man Survives Bobcat Attack by Choking Animal to Death
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man Survives Bobcat Attack by Choking Animal to Death  (Read 3452 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: June 22, 2007, 08:07:43 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,284635,00.html
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 08:29:22 PM »

Wow... very resourceful guy!  :laugh: Though I now feel sorry for him, as he has to get that series of rabies shots... ouch.

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 10:39:42 PM »

Wow I never would have thought a bobcat would be bold enough as to attack a human!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 08:11:12 AM »

I bet that was a sight to see.

I always figured I could choke a dog or shove my fist down its throat if necessary!...or at least would attempt it anyway.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
myriadin
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 05:10:35 PM »

From time to time I've pondered what I'd do in the case of an animal attack.

There's a book (I forget the title) which gives instructions for a bunch of crazy situations, including jumping out of a moving car, what to do if your parachutes fail, etc. It includes suggestions for responding to shark and wildcat attacks. Anyone know the book I'm talking about? I think it said to always face the animal, raise your arms to appear larger, strike the cat's nose, etc...

Closest I came to anything like that was when I was walking with my girlfriend after dark in a somewhat deserted urban area. We heard this growl...those of you who have heard a truly threatening growl from a large dog (not just the warning growl, but the one that means the animal can already taste you) know what I mean. Scary. The dog was about twelve yards away up the alley, walking slowly toward us. I pushed my girlfriend behind me (not sexist, just practical. She weighed less than 100 lbs). I drew my gun, and we froze until the dog stopped about 20 feet away. We backed up very slowly, always facing the dog, until at about 20 yards we were able to get around the corner of a building and make hastier tracks. The dog never stopped growling. I'm told by some dog people we were lucky to get away.

Amazing what goes through one's mind at such times. Every film with animal attacks I'd ever seen flashed through my mind, all in about a tenth of a second. I had the gun, sure, but there's no guarantee I'd stop the animal before he got hold of one of us. Glad it didn't come to that.

The guy in the article was over 60 years old! Impressive!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »