Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:58:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Another sad day at the farm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another sad day at the farm  (Read 18892 times)
ode2god
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2008, 11:39:52 PM »

ILL KEEP YOU IN MY PRAYERS ! j2

Why are you keeping me in your prayers? Koffee needs them not me.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
s20 hmm i guess i thought you might be sad and could use comforting that an old freind was getting poorer health wise ..you know trying to be nice ... my bad
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2008, 05:19:39 AM »

Thanks for your thoughts ode but I don't need it, Koffee does.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2008, 11:24:28 AM »

It doesn't look good for Koffee. She has stopped eating and her fluid intake has also diminished. She can no longer stand on her own without assisted help.

I will be putting in a call to the vet first thing Monday morning for a re-evaluation. At the present time we are giving her water one once at a time and as far as any food it has be blended to a slurpy consistency and fed (forced fed)one ounce at a time as well.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2008, 08:40:45 PM »

Sorry Steve !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2008, 10:04:51 PM »

I too am sorry to here this.
Your friend's time has come, and it's not hard to see you care very much.
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 07:11:07 AM »

We all have to go through this with the pets we love, the only consolation is that we have enjoyed a good life with them. 

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 07:31:45 AM »

We all have to go through this with the pets we love, the only consolation is that we have enjoyed a good life with them. 

I know Jake, but to lose another family member within a 3 month period is so hard.

I have been up with her since 1am. The stroke that she had seemed to produce an oncoming drastic seisure activity which started on Saturday evening.. I had to give her my late sons liquid Tegretol in the ammount of 50units lastnight and it took 55 minutes for her to fall asleep.

She woke up a 6am this morning and went right in to seisure activity. I gave her another 50units and a hour later I had to give her another 50units all within that time she had uncontrolable thrashing around. Finally at 6:51 she fell asleep.

I will have to keep her medicated until we get to the vet this morning if there is an opening.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

ode2god
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2008, 01:08:27 PM »

:cry: im so sorrry pleasant ...iit sounds like its time to let her go though ...sounds like shes suffering now and if shes  been a faithful freind i know youll do the right thing ....my heart goes out to you honey ...ill pray for both of you if thats okay...no matter how tough you try to act i know it hurts, ive lost a few freinds to old age to it never gets any easier...
greyghost
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2008, 09:14:16 PM »

Steve, today is the first I read this thread. I have a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. I remember the morning after my Golden, Winston was hit by a car. I was 11, I asked Mom if Winston was alive, and She said no.
If Koffee doesn't get better, I would be willing to take some of the grief if that would lighten your load. Dave.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2008, 05:19:49 AM »

Thanks ode and thank you also greyghost/ Dave.

I have not given up as of yet. We took Koffee to the yet yesterday morning and we were given 3 alternatives:

Going to Ohio for Cat Scans and MRI's to see what is causing the problem, but since see is 13 years old, we may find out what the problem is, but be in operateable, such as brain tumor, brain cancer.

The second alternative is putting her in the hospital (which we have) for a couple of days and giving her steroids, and starting her on an IV regulated Phenobarbital drip, IV fluids even though she wasn't totally dehydrated, for the next few days.

Then bring her down from the  Pheno and see if she comes out of the seizures. The doc’s main concern is whether the stroke has progress further since she cannot stand, or it may be from the side effects of the medication. Normally a dog will start to show improvement after a stroke, after a week’s time.

.........And we all know what the third on is.

So basically it is a wait and see situation at this present time. I have instructed the Doc that I will leave it up to his discretion at this point in time.

If there is no improvement, he will put her to sleep, and she will be cremated. I will then place her ashes in a 3" PVC pipe that is 16" long, and Koffee will then be buried next to Max, and Rescue. Both of my hunting companions, Max and Rescue died this pasted September, 20 days apart.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

ode2god
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2008, 09:16:52 AM »

:sad: its up to her then ..keep us informed
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2008, 10:27:31 AM »

:sad: its up to her then ..keep us informed

Vet Doc called at 9:30 this morning to give us an update. He actually didn't think Koffee was going to make it over night. So far she seems more alert and has bowel movement. She has also eaten 1/3 to 1/2 can of food.

She still can't stand, although this could be from the medication. Doc has suggested to give it another 24 hrs and then we will take it from there.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2008, 10:56:29 AM »

Good luck, guy!
We're all pulling for her!! :?:
greyghost
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2008, 10:24:35 PM »

You bet we are!
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2008, 07:33:15 AM »

She's a tough Gal Steve, thats for sure.

I had something similar with my last retired sled team leader, he was 14, started having problems, I came close over two weeks to putting him to sleep, finally the vet hit on something that got him back on his feet, it was severe arthritis, and he couldnt stand, finally we got him up and moving, he had two more good years, finally it started getting worse, so one night with a soft heavy snow falling around us I gave him the shot from the vet, and we sat there in the quiet snow until he went over the bridge.   

I miss him still, super tough dog, clown and close friend. He'll be waiting when its my turn.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »