Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:45:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Another sad day at the farm
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another sad day at the farm  (Read 18898 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« on: December 06, 2008, 06:52:57 AM »

Seems like my GSP Koffee of 13 years is now missing and I fear the worst.

I woke up this morning at the end of a repeat of Lettermen with Obama talking about running against Hillary and the dog wanted to go out.

This is S.O.P. and the time was 1:30am. So I let her out the back door to do her business. The temps outside was a raw, still, clear sky 9*. She usually makes the trip back within 10 minutes.

I have been out looking for her since 2am with the Polaris Ranger, and a spot light, and still no sign of her. I have been all over the farm, in the barn, and down to the creek. I drove 1/2 mile each way on the main road looking in the ditch and along the creek.

I even went and took my other dog Duke for a walk and we walk the neighbors property. All we came up with were deer and rabbits.

If she has died, this will be the 3rd dog since September 6th. It sucks to high hell to have old cherished family inside dogs die.

I hope I can find her at first daylight to give her a proper burial, next to the other two.

I guess I should have had a GPS on my GSP

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pretty_Bird

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 07:26:45 AM »

Sorry to hear that she is missing without any clue.
One might think she was in HEAT but age 13 years in human years is rather old for a dog.
 But oddly just to disappear without you being able to locate her makes one think perhaps she may have been dog napped.

especially since you said you had looked all around her normal  space, they usually don't wonder far without being coaxed by some one or thing.
Let us know if you find her safe and sound or otherwise.
 Hoping for the positive!!! Happy ending.

Pretty_Bird
ode2god
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 08:45:09 AM »

sorry to hear it i hope she turns up keep us post hun s20
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 09:23:46 AM »

Thanks for the thoughts Pretty_Bird and ode. Still no sign of her and it is 9:22am here.

She is to old to be dog napped. I just don't know where to look next.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 09:52:31 AM »

Hope you find her Steve....I know it's hard when an old friend is lost....
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 10:00:17 AM »

Sorry to hear it Pheasant Holler.   Dogs around here are going wild over the scent of deer meat in the woods.  I had deer in the back of my truck and could see neighbors dogs heading towards my house with their nose up in the air.  My Golden Retriever took off yesterday after dark for a while, I figure she was out scouting for deer gut piles and such.

Hopefully your dog turns up,  one way or the other.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 10:41:59 AM »

Still nothing. I went down into the neighbors bottom field along the creek bed there as well. Nothing. I have to taqke a longer ride when my wife gets home from the stores. I don't want to have my other dog Duke following me. Beside, today is the last day of Buck season, I don't need him shot.

Talk to you all later.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 11:00:57 AM »

I guess I should have had a GPS on my GSP

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

You know they have those, now.  Problem is, which dog needs it, when.  And when do you take it off to charge the batteries.

I'd guess that it's about 50-50 between tracking deer, and the long nap in front of the fire.  I suppose, if you have to go, a heart attack while chasing a game is as good a way as any.  That would be my choice Game, or Dame.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 04:43:09 AM »

Well it was just under 12 hrs that she had been gone.

My neighbor and I took the ride down the road for another mile looking in the ditches and asking anyone that was on the road. No one had seen her and nothing in the ditches either.

When my neighbor and I got to the house, my wife said Koffee was home. My wife was looking out the front bay window and just by chance, saw Koffee on the bridge just standing there at 12:45pm. When my wife got down to the bridge she notice that Koffee was totally disoriented, and her eyes were glazed over.

She seems to be doing fine right now and knows where she is.

Just under a long 12 hours, and I still don't know where she was.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 06:57:06 AM »

Hi Steve

I'm glad she is home, thats a bummer to have a family member out and gone.

I'd be scheduling a visit to a very good vet, something isnot right. 

My pup is six mos old today. An English Shepherd, she is the undisputed queen here now, if something happened to her I'd be devastated. Even Tom Underfoot has bought into her rule, and he is incredibly patient with her oafish ways of pinning him down.

Really glad Koffee is home.

I'm glad my critters let me live here.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 07:23:48 AM »

Hi Steve

I'm glad she is home, thats a bummer to have a family member out and gone.

I'd be scheduling a visit to a very good vet, something isnot right. 

My pup is six mos old today. An English Shepherd, she is the undisputed queen here now, if something happened to her I'd be devastated. Even Tom Underfoot has bought into her rule, and he is incredibly patient with her oafish ways of pinning him down.

Really glad Koffee is home.

I'm glad my critters let me live here.

Thanks Jake.

That's what I can't figure out. She is not a runner, and at 9*yesterday @1:30am she would be back at the door within 10 minutes.

Last night she slept in the living room and at 2am this morning. When I woke up in the chair, and move to the bedroom, She followed me in and that is where she is sleeping now.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

ode2god
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 09:26:20 AM »

im so glad she came home j47 steve its really hard to lose a pet...do you think shell wander again ? do you think she chased something and just had trouble finding her way home? she is old as you say ...dogs get oldtimers too j44
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 10:05:26 AM »

im so glad she came home j47 steve its really hard to lose a pet...do you think shell wander again ? do you think she chased something and just had trouble finding her way home? she is old as you say ...dogs get oldtimers too j44

Ode,

She doesn't chase deer or other animals anymore. I think that old age has finally set in, and Alzheimer’s as well.

Link to Merck: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/140217.htm&word=Alzheimer%2cdogs

Third paragraph down. s49

From the Merck Manual:Cognitive dysfunction or senility has the following necessary and sufficient condition: change in interactive, elimination, or navigational behaviors attendant with aging that are explicitly not due to primary failure of any organ system. This is a potential animal model for the age-dependent cognitive changes that occur in humans. The affiliated behaviors may be associated with Alzheimer’s-like (senile dementia of the Alzheimer type) lesions. The syndrome occurs in both dogs and cats. It is important to differentiate early cognitive dysfunction from old-age onset separation anxiety. Cognitive dysfunction sometimes involves age-dependent changes in dopaminergic function and microembolic events and is associated with deposition of amyloid plaques; however, the presence of such plaques is not sufficient to diagnose the condition. Many dogs and people with extensive plaque formation experience no decrements in cognitive function.

I'll just have to go out with her when she has to do her thing.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 09:13:04 PM »

Glad you found her Steve You will just have to keep her close....

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 05:13:57 AM »

Glad you found her Steve You will just have to keep her close....

slider,

We are putting a call into the vet this morning to get her checked out. Something isn't right.

Her eyes are glazed and she is still disoriented. I took her out yesterday late afternoon for a walk to do her thing, and she started to wonder in the opposite direction. I called her, and it was is if I wasn't even there.

This morning, I woke up to her heavy panting, as if she was in labor. She has also coughed up large amounts of flem.

I let her out on the back deck this morning, and now she is inside laying on her blanket asleep.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »