Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:06:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Propagation - Advanced Science
| | |-+  Surragator
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surragator  (Read 18387 times)
popsjp
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 05:17:22 PM »

Sounds great. Where are you located? Next cycle I hope to start with one week old chicks, depends on what my supplier has on hand at the time. Having trouble inserting pics. I built a cage to put mine in since it is made of plastic. This hopefully will keep hogs from tearing it up getting at the chicks. I am hoping to run 5 cycles this year and see how it goes. Next time the feed trough will have a slight modification, (from slits cut in it), that will allow the small chicks to reach some of the feed.
BigD_N_Cherokee

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 07:05:43 PM »

rsolis,
Dimensions are 4'WX8'LX16"deep. Closed end is 4X4 and so is the expanded metal end.
We put 125 in at a time.  We are considering uping that another 20 to 25.

J.P.,
We're in NW OK. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 07:40:05 AM by BigD_N_Cherokee » Logged
rsolis

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 03:51:02 PM »

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION,

DOES THE LP HEATER HAS A COVER ? IT IS NOT CLEAR ON THE PIC.
DO YOU HAVE THE DIMENTIONS ON THE FEEDER, HOW MUCH LBS YOU CAN PLACE

regards

Rodrigo
BigD_N_Cherokee

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 06:46:39 PM »

Yes, the burner is covered with a piece of aluminum plate then we stuck a terra cotta saucer over that.  We opted not to purchase the $45 ceramic disk.

I'm not sure what the dimensions are but it will hold two 50# bags of 28% game bird starter.

-D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 06:50:47 PM by BigD_N_Cherokee » Logged
rsolis

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 07:00:58 PM »

thank you for the information

I have another question regarding the watering sys.  I notice that you have 2 tubing  ataches to the PVC pipe.   why?

thanks

BigD_N_Cherokee

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 09:20:12 PM »

Redneck ingenuity!
One tube connects to a barbed fitting on the water barrel (water inlet)
The other is just a vent tube to let any trapped air out.  We tape it to a electric fence post so it is higher than the water level of the barrel.  That way we don't have any trapped air in the waterer.  Oh, and the vent tube also shows us how much water we have left in the barrel.
-D

thank you for the information

I have another question regarding the watering sys.  I notice that you have 2 tubing  ataches to the PVC pipe.   why?

thanks

BigD_N_Cherokee

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 08:35:43 AM »

Popsjp,
How's your first batch of birds getting along?
-D
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 08:37:08 PM »

I have more questions every time I look at your pictures.

Do you know the brand and model numbers of the gas valve, and burner?

What is the BTU rating of the burner?

Is it just a single flame, similar to a bunson burner?

Is there a way to adjust the temperature from outside, as the chicks get older?

Is the waterer height adjustable?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
BigD_N_Cherokee

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 10:32:36 PM »

I have more questions every time I look at your pictures.

Do you know the brand and model numbers of the gas valve, and burner?
Gas Valve: Robertshaw 710-203 (or a Robertshaw 710-205, with an LP Pressure Regulator Robertshaw1751-013)  Burner was made by my buddy with a drilled and tapped piece of cold roll with a mig welding tip screwed into it.  Don't ask me about the burner, I'm still wondering how he did it.

What is the BTU rating of the burner? 
It is homemade.  No BTU's known.

Is it just a single flame, similar to a bunson burner?
  The flame is very similar to a chemistry class bunson burner.  However the pilot light (Robertshaw 1980-036) stays lit all the time.

Is there a way to adjust the temperature from outside, as the chicks get older?
Nope, you have to raise the lid to get to the adjustment on the gas valve.  We make a little noise when we lift the lid, the birds run to the expanded metal end, then we close the divider down.  That way we have the inside of the box all to ourselves.

Is the waterer height adjustable?
You bet!  It is hung with a light chain from the top of the box.  We start it low then raise it by taking up some links in the chain.
popsjp
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 09:53:04 AM »

Just an update. Went to the ranch on June 15 with the intent of setting my first batch loose and starting the second round. The surragator had one live bird left in it. The rest were dead all around the unit. The one surviving bird wasn't looking great so I dispatced her, worried about disease. I had contacted the maker of the unit about my losses. Was told the sometimes the feed trough baffle slides down. His suggestion was to place 3/4" blocks under the baffle to prevent this. After cleaning the unit I placed the blocks under the baffle as directed and watched my second batch of birds. they seemed to be having trouble getting at the feed. My fix was to drill several 1/2" holes through the baffle that allow the feed to fall into the trough. I also started with 2 week old chicks this time. Had a hard 1-1/2" driving rain about 3am on morning, with a cool front, about 65 degrees. Checked birds that morning, lost 4. There were 6 others that were wet, placed them under the heater and checked about 2 hours later and all were dry and moving well. The next morning I had lost 2 more, Guess they were some of the wet ones? Hope this batch does better than the first. That was very disappointing. I hope that learning and success improve quickly.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 01:53:46 PM by popsjp » Logged
tr
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2007, 01:46:32 PM »

anyone try the surrogator in pa yet? successful?
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 09:52:11 AM »

I also thought the advertised one was too pricey, I'd really like to see the plans or just more info posted on the home made ones though.

Actually I will be almost doing that in feeding my released birds, I am hoping to get a couple coveys established right here at home . I'll just open a pen door and have a couple feeders close by. There will be immediate cover nearby.

I have seen several 'recall towers' that are permement, and very nicely done, about a 4' square shed almost 7' high, with a pen on the side with a funnel in it, and several birds in the tower and pen. They keep feed and water 365 days year round, its a place that raises field Brittanys.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »