Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:12:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Individual State/Country Discussion
| | |-+  Missouri
| | | |-+  Spring Returns - Finally!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spring Returns - Finally!  (Read 5256 times)
backyardquail

This place is going to the birds!

« on: April 06, 2011, 02:09:19 PM »

Thought I would give a quick update on how the winter went in my St. Louis suburb. 

I started keeping quail last July for the first time, so this was my first experience with "live stock" to over winter.  I ended up keeping 18 birds in a converted rabbit hutch in our garden shed.  I used a heat lamp when it was below freezing to make sure the water source didn't freeze.  Crazy birds still produced 1-4 eggs as a group every day even through the coldest days. 

Now it looks like Spring is here and we are getting back to lows of 40's on a regular basis so I have moved the birds back to the outside cages.  As luck would have it all 18 birds made it through the winter.
j1

I am excited because they are getting back to a more regular laying schedule and I am collecting eggs to get into the incubator hopefully this weekend.  This is such a cool hobby!  Circle of life and all that!

A quick thank you to all of those who have answered my questions the past nine months and in at least one case supplied me with birds!!   
ty2

Backyard Quail
"Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake." - Victor Hugo
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »