Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:07:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  Quail Cage Building Supplies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quail Cage Building Supplies  (Read 23312 times)
Pretty_Bird

« on: May 17, 2008, 08:58:43 PM »

Where in the world can you find cage building supplies these days?
Feed stores Carry very limited wire and not the correct size for quail.
Farm Supply Stores Only have cattle panels or permanufactured Rabbit cages.
BUT they all sell J Clips
What is the best size to build Quail cages for Breeder birds?

Bare with me please as raising Quail is a new project for me. I have always had Chickens but wanted to raise Quail for many years and decided by golly I'm going to give it a whirl.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:28:23 PM »

Where in the world can you find cage building supplies these days?

Well, where in the world are you?

I could tell you to go to MFA, or Race Brothers, but if you don't live in the mid south, you wouldn't have a clue.

Once we all know where you are, someone may be able to help.  You can order it on line, but other than latches, and maybe feed/water troughs, you'll pay double, or triple including freight.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
GSP4

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 06:02:30 AM »

Here in the north east we use Home Depo, and Lowes.  to find out in your area if you don't want to give your location, look in your phone book under building supplies.
Pretty_Bird

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »

Well let me say that I'm in the sticks of Missouri and I have tried 4 of the local feed supply stores ( LOCAL meaning within a 35 to 40 mile radius) and have found that 3 of them use to  handle all that stuff as they said when their partents ran the business but they no longer carry it. The other one had J clips and the pliers but NO Wire, they did however have those big old pre-made Rabbit cages that are in no way useable for quail.
Lowe's here has Cattle panels and Hog panels larger wire 2"x4" and 4"x4" and the 24"x 10' Poultry wire, that's it.
Orschlen has small rolls of 1/2"x1/2"x10'  @$12.96
and 1/4"x1/4" x 10' @ $10.48 but that is the really fine wire that will not support anything. OH yes they have J clips and Pliers. They have no hardware for the cages such as cage supports or door locks. I ask about a small incubator and was told I think we can order one.
MFA Farm Supply well they have the game bird feed but no welded wire for small cages just cattle, hog, horse panels and bob wire.
Even tried at MEEKS, Home DEPO (they have chicken wire 24" tall for around plants and shrubs the guy told me small rolls), ACE Hardware, Hoods.
Every body says NO money in it.. So we don't stock it.

Years ago I bought good heavy welded wire by the roll it wasn't cheap but it was easy to find and it lasted forever ( I say that because I have cages for Rabbits that I built over 12 years ago) so the cost over the years made it cheaper in the long run.
 That is what I'm trying to find now and not having any luck.

In the early spring most of the feed stores will have poultry feeders and waterer's but when I ask about the Drown proof water for Quail chicks, No one had any so I went to the internet and paid the shipping cost to get what I wanted.
So I figure if it cost more to have it drop shipped to me it will still be worth the cost in the long run.

Sorry but I haven't hear of Race Brothers where are they located?
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 11:03:38 AM »

Hm. I got some of my 1/2"x1/2" wire at Lowes an they actually had several different sizes. I would say they could probably order it for you... I guess every Lowes is different. Good Luck.  You have just the opposite problem of me... I haven't found any J-clips or pliers yet there... Will look at Tractor supply company. HAve one of those around you???
jbird
Expert Member

Gods Creatures are for everyone to enjoy

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 07:38:14 PM »

Try these two sites   www.cutlersupply.com    www.bassequipment.com , bassequipment is locale for me and they have everything I need here in sw mo
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 11:28:26 PM »

Years ago I bought good heavy welded wire

Good luck finding any without ordering it yourself or being lucky enough to find anyone who knows anything about it that can order it for you to their store.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 01:36:57 AM »

I sent you a PM with some detail.  I see you weren't on today.  Didn't mention Race Bros.  They are in Springfield and Ozark, so maybe nothing near you.

Nipples are probably best bet for waterers.  Nipples must be ordered, but shipping is negligible.  PVC is available everywhere (except maybe Iron county).  I usually have to order narrow rim water bases, but I think MFA had some at one time (they may have had them sent special for me, since I buy a lot of feed).

For small cages the pop bottle waterers would be good to try.  Wire type latches ship fairly cheaply.  For small wire doors, look at the GQF style laying cages, the "latch" is just a hog ring that falls into place, when door closes, you can lift it with one finger, then push hand through opening.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
yote1

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 06:38:09 PM »

I live in central Mo. and I order my wire from Rivermills in NJ If your interested give me a shout and I can get you hooked up. The wire is reasonable shipping what cost. But its heavy gauge wire, PVC coated or galvanized
galaxie428

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 08:32:36 PM »

I bought all my stuff here in IN at Rural King or Tractor supply. They also carried wire at Carter lumber. I am pretty sure you can order through tractor supply company or you might try Farmtech. They have lots of poultry supplies through there. I don't know how prices compare between all of them.
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 08:23:33 PM »

www.cutlersupply.com is your best bet thank ya Jim
jhudson

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 12:31:19 PM »

Just thought I would pass this along.  I always keep my eyes open when going here and there, and 1 day noticed a large pile of hardware wire behind a business called " critter control". As the name says, they git ride of those pesky animals that are around your house or attic. So, I whipped in and asked if he was getting rid of the wire. The answer was help yourself and come back often. They get down to the last 3-4 feet of the role and they just throw the rest away. I have enough wire to last the rest of my life. So for those looking to cut costs, keep you eyes open. :laugh:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »