Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:58:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Supplier Feedback
| | |-+  Purina Gamebird Feed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Purina Gamebird Feed  (Read 24409 times)
PSUQuailer

« on: December 29, 2007, 04:56:27 PM »

I was thinking of switching my birds over to the Purina line of food.  Does anybody else use it?  Do you see a difference in the birds?  Any replies you be greatly appreciated j44

Ryan S.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 05:15:08 AM »

Good feed  like using the starter it does not need to be ground up for quail
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 08:54:30 AM »

I too am pleased with it.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
PSUQuailer

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 10:15:14 AM »

Thank you for the replies i guess my birds are getting something new.

Ryan S.
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 03:48:26 PM »

Ryan, If you check around with the purina sellers they may have the buy 2 get 1 free even though the feed is pricy but good feed. The guy here that just opened 1 up here in this little town we gotta be rich here to afford the $14.50 a bag but with the coupons saves a lot. He's giving them to me to get our business from the other feed store I get feed from is from Bryant Grain co. in Aledo, Tx. has great 28% gamebird crumbles starter too at about $11 a bag. might check it out too. Thanks,  and GOD BLESS, Tommy
PSUQuailer

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 05:02:20 PM »

Yeah it is a little more but only like a $1.50.  If the feed is better for the birds then i don't have a problem feeding them this, since they will hopefully bring me in some money.  The feed i buy right now is $10.25+tax a bag and the Purina food at the local mill is $11.25 for Maintenance and $11.75 for Breeder.

Ryan S.
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 09:46:19 AM »

I havent tried their gamebird feeds, but the Trout Chow and other fish feeds are excellent. I dont buy the dogfoods because of all the stuff in it dogs shouldnt eat. Soy, corn etc. 

My quail get a premium wild bird seed mix, very little corn in it and thats half ground, I feed it with greens, and starchy veggies, they love acorn squash nuked in the microwave for a few mins, will clean up a good sized chunk in several days, I am planting a lot more greens this year and probably also a deep tray in the house for winter greens for the breeders.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
bigokie

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 10:02:02 PM »

purina has done the best for me .havnt lost but a very few.feathers them out really well.i use their layena on my breeders an starena on my babys
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 08:44:40 AM »

I have to correct myself on the Purina dog feeds,

their Performance Dog is a quality dog food and I know a very good Lab kennel that now swears by it, I checked a label and it does have good ingredients  with a minimum of filler crap.

FWIW.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 09:10:36 AM »

J.L.
Above post you mentioned a deep tray for indoor winter greens, What greens, Grow globe bulb? Just wondering as I would like to grow some greens. The local grocer (Safeway) has a NEW policy of not giving there out dated produce anymore, they tell me it is now composted, too many thefts.  s176

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 10:27:51 AM »

Hi Labman

they are trays for holding transplant seedlings in the spring, most greenhouses have a variation,  I started both lettuce(leaf) and grass in them plus a sprinking of small seeds from the bird seed,  put them on my deep window sills facing south, with one shoplite over them, the same shoplites work fine on my Orchids in the dining rm windows, when its about 6" high I take out portions and put in the cages, so far they clean it up in a couple days. Deep is a misnomer as its only about 3.5" deep, but enough to get a good root system for the seedlings. They clean up all the greens and some of the roots, the rest gets thrown on the compost pile. I've got two of the trays working, so far so good.

My IGA store is still saving for me but even if I cant use it I take it and put the excess out front for the doves and other wild birds, that spot will be well composted by spring. They dont have anyone else using it or I'd split it with them. Next winter chickens will be using a lot of it.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

Thomas Jefferson
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 10:37:27 AM »

well we use purina here and it has been great.we get feed in bulk.we just got a load of 19% flight conditioner and it was 276 a ton.we get 3 ton at once.we feed our dogs nothing but purina pro plan also.now that is expensive but worth it. but no complaints about purina they mix whatever we need whether it is medication for the quail or pheasants.

Lenny
Sugar Run Gamebirds

Tennessee red,Mexican speckled, and bobwhite quail,chukar,ringneck pheasants

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 01:19:59 PM »

Thanks Jake'
 I have lettuce seeds and already have the trays from last years annuals, still looking for lemon grass. I have some of the Cat grass seed I will try that also. 006

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
kcgamebirdfarm

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 11:32:40 PM »

i will agree that they have really good feeds - almost a year ago i visited one of their research facilities and was really amazed at what they did and the time invested.  what i was not so happy about though was when i got intouch with a man there in charge of the "gamebird feeds" told him i had about 300-400 birds and was interested in changing to their feed as i was anticipating on growing in size - so i gave him my number and he said he would get back with me in a week or so...... 6 months later i had my friend call the man and tell him he raised about 10,000 birds a year and was interested in changing to their feeds and asked for him to get him some prices and get back with him.... the man called him back 2 days later......
yes i raise ALOT more than 400 birds
my friend does not raise so many he is just gettin started
but the reason i did this was to see how they valued their customers no matter how large or small -- but seems to me they don't care so much about the small guys -
i informed my sales rep in my area of this and she was not to please about how the man had handled this
so i will continue to use a blend through ADM for my gamebirds

i say they have good feeds because we do feed some of out horses their feeds such as equine senior and junior and they work amazing

~what good are birds without feathers?~
bobhunter

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 08:03:43 PM »

It's a bit more expensive in my area but I use it anyway because it is very good quality feed.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »