Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:03:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Mountain quail laying eggs in january.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mountain quail laying eggs in january.  (Read 6180 times)
Brenda

I'm a GREAT BIG bird.

« on: January 19, 2014, 02:04:19 PM »

hlp2 I have a red heat lamp and a 40 watt regular light bulb in quail house. Have had for 2 months. Have had pretty cold Winter temps, then warms up to 40-50 degrees, and jumps back and forth. I just discovered yesterday that my mountain quail hen has laid 10 eggs. Is this due to the warmer weather periods and the light inside the house? They come in and out all day. She is not setting, I removed the eggs yesterday when I found the nest, and turned off the light bulb, not the heat light though.  Not really wanting to deal with incubating them in Jan, but again, hate to just toss the eggs.
I am concerned that she will not lay again in Spring. Any thoughts please? Thank you!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 05:20:41 AM »

hlp2 I have a red heat lamp and a 40 watt regular light bulb in quail house. Have had for 2 months. Have had pretty cold Winter temps, then warms up to 40-50 degrees, and jumps back and forth. I just discovered yesterday that my mountain quail hen has laid 10 eggs. Is this due to the warmer weather periods and the light inside the house? They come in and out all day. She is not setting, I removed the eggs yesterday when I found the nest, and turned off the light bulb, not the heat light though.  Not really wanting to deal with incubating them in Jan, but again, hate to just toss the eggs.
I am concerned that she will not lay again in Spring. Any thoughts please? Thank you!

By added the 40 watt regular light bulb in quail house you have extended the day light hrs. This will encourage the bird to lay. Turning off the light will confuse the bird and she will stop. She will start again to lay when the day light hrs become normal in your area.

If you don't want to incubate the eggs, eat them.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Brenda

I'm a GREAT BIG bird.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:12:53 AM »

Thanks for the reply, light is off.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 12:24:52 PM »

If you do not want the eggs I will take them...How many do you have????

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »