Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:47:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Breeding season has started
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Breeding season has started  (Read 6610 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: February 11, 2008, 03:11:03 PM »

No, not the birds. Darned Coyotes are mocking me again this year. Spotted some yesterday , the wife has a look with the binos and there are 7 hanging out by the shelter belt trees to the east......at about 650-750 yds. I'm not big on hail marry shots, and they know it !

Today (a few minutes ago) a pair across the road are sing'n away...mixed in with cattle. The wife had to take my truck to work so I cannot go and get closer (and not have to shoot across the road).
Go for a cup of coffee and there is another one to the east. Tried to use a call, he exit stage left. They know if they hear a call , to head AWAY from it !
Trained those dogs well, I guess  :evil:

So for the next month I'll be driven crazy by them staying just a bit too far out of range. Worst is, there is no way to do a sneak on em. Wide open and between land sections/roads.
I'll have to pick up a snow machine to teach them some new tricks .....any free ones out there ?
 s020
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 04:29:58 PM »

The .50 caliber isnt legal up there is it ?    c110

900 yards piece of cake. I've hit silhouettes at 1200 with one. Would sure mess up a coyotte.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 05:56:01 PM »

Ahhh, but bird breeding season has started.  Here are a few hundred of my bobwhites already indoors with temp and lighting control to get them laying early.

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 06:07:14 PM »

I've got a .50cal...but not the species you speak of. My BP isn't going to reach out that far !

One out there now....for several hours now. Laying down, and no way to get any closer. They are going to drive me nuts !

Hey BB, that's a bunch of Quail you have there ! The building dedicated for Quail production alone ?
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 06:14:57 PM »

Yes, the building is only for quail egg production and brooding chicks.  I have incubation in a separate building.  It's all due in part of the biosecurity practices...I don't let visitor inside the buildings.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 06:21:18 PM by Bird Brained » Logged
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 06:30:30 PM »

Reeves, you need to borrow my Kimber. It's the 270WSM with a 4.5x14AO Mill Dot Zeiss, it will reach them out there. c110

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 06:33:46 PM »

Remington mod 700 308 cal little practice surprise the  s53 out of them. I like the .50 cal idea too. now thats serious lead poisoning. c110  reeves did you ever get the new toy you spoke of back a while ? I have been  looking at  that rifle too. but need to sell my BAR first.

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
hunter3015

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 07:55:03 PM »

nuffin like a good #3 or 4 double coil spring trap, then u just pop him in the head with a 22cal long rifle

how to set a dirt hole set look here at bottom of page http://www.callingallhunters.com/

But got to admit the 50cal sounds good but about 5 to 6 bucks a shot

but anyways good luck

Bad day hunting is better then a good day at work.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 08:02:35 PM »

birddog - does Remington still make guns ?  :evil:

labmancan - I don't shoot guns that sound like a ski town ! :evil:

birddog - didn't get the new toy yet. This year I hope.

I have a 300WM Browning A-bolt Synthetic Stalker w/BOSS that would reach out and do the job. Problem is , the guns can out-shoot me. Not enough practice at long range.

When I do get the new toy, I'll pick up a new scope for the 300 and one of the same for the 22-250.

Here is the site. Scroll down till you see the Rapid Z logo, click on it. You'll be able to see the scopes I want.

http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/ec215ec620626f1e852571d700377d7e
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 08:09:39 PM »

hunter3015 - an old trapper/farmer, 78 years young, took out about 60 around here this winter so far. I also took out about a dozen. (gave em to the old guy)
Hardly notice a difference in the population. Way too many , all over AB. Furs not selling well. Lots from last year not sold yet. Lots taken from this winter will not go till next season.
Combine that with poor prices and you end up with high populations.

Wolves have become a problem as well. I think the target for AB is 3500 ? And we have about 10-20,000 ? labmancan may have better data on this ?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 08:35:35 PM »

Use an SKS and just "spray" in their direction?

j18

^-^

Disclaimer: Intended as a joke, not a real scenario, or even plausible, etc., etc., so forth and so on.      c49

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 11:47:40 PM »

That would be Kimber, not Kimber lee i5

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 11:58:12 PM »

s020

I like Chucks idea though !

But I came up with another idea. All I need is a buddy in the States willing to ship me some old Army stuff......I'm thinking a few dozen claymores will do the trick  :grin:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 12:31:47 AM »

^-^

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 04:58:40 AM »

I had seen the cock birds chasing the hens yesterday. Just may get an early start in spite of this crazy weather. Store bought eggs are getting quite expensive now-a-days.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »