Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 08:15:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Hatching tray liners
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hatching tray liners  (Read 3626 times)
Baileyellowdog

« on: October 09, 2007, 12:40:04 PM »

Hello all,
I am getting about one quarter of my Japanese quail hatchlings with spraddled legs.
I currently line my hatching tray for with the DACB blue dropping paper (cardboard) from GQF.  It is designed for lining cages.  It has some texture to it but I am concerned that it might me too slick for the hatchlings.   My humidity and temp are 70% (90F wet bulb) and 99F respectively and the other hatchlings are healthy and energetic.  The literature suggests that spraddling can be caused if the lining material is too smooth.  Any experience with this?  I could let them hatch on the wire mesh bottom (1/4" mesh) and put the liner underneath to control droppings.  What products do you use for hatching tray liners or do you hatch on the wire mesh? Thanks for any suggestions!

Dave
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 05:12:57 PM »

Hatch them on the 1/4 inch wire mesh after they hatch put them in a plastic tub with paper towels lineing the bottom of the tub when they are between a week or two old put them in your brooder paper towels will help prevent straddle leg
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 10:52:58 AM »

We use rubber shelf liners for the first couple of days.  The GQF blue paper is more for droppings under the wire, I think is is way to slick. 

The great thing about the rubber shelf liners is they can be reused.  I just toss them in the washer. 

Good luck.
Teresa

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Baileyellowdog

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 08:20:21 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions,
I hatched 13 eggs this week on thick paper towels and none were splayed.  Even though it was a small hatch, I'm encouraged.  I like the rubber shelf liner idea and may try that as well.  Thanks again.

Dave
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »