Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 08:23:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Advice to a novice...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice to a novice...  (Read 3627 times)
loewdog34
« on: December 15, 2004, 03:50:49 PM »

Advice to a novice...
I have just recently begun something I have wanted to do since I was a kid...raise birds.

I was told that Coturnix were an inexpensive good way to start/learn. I have really enjoyed it thus far. I have 4 birds and was give 16 eggs. The birds have laid 3 eggs (see other post "no eggs!?") and 12 of the 16 eggs hatched...10 chicks are alive and well.

Any advice out there as to how to do this better? Other good birds to try? Products that are helpful? Books?

Thank you - and hope to be a great member to the board here.
quailer370
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 07:38:41 PM »

sounds like you're doing great.  :) all i can offer is that they like sand baths, it keeps their feathers in good order and helps prevent any mites from taking hold.  also if they're under the weather or sick electrolytes in their water are a real energy booster.  good luck to your endeavors!

-quailer370

life's like a bucket of wood shavings, except when the shavings are in a pail...then life's like a PAIL of wood shavings :D
squirrelhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 06:02:00 PM »

Without a doubt I must reccomend bobwhites to you, or you could explore the tens of hybrids created from the coturnix.
James
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 08:28:30 PM »

Hi there.
Am planning to buy some Quail, raise them, and use them for training a bird dog pup.  So I am in process of studying cage designs and how to raise quail.  Am thinking of Bob White Quail.  

Question: I do not have a shed or barn, so most likely will need to set my cage outdoor.  Any advice on the kind of outdoor cage to build, size, design and how to shelter them from the rain here in Puget Sound, WA ???  I've read of various design but no one talks about the weather and whether that is a factor to consider or not.  Anyone living near Puget Sound and having success raising quail outdoor such as I plan?
squirrelhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 09:12:23 PM »

Bobwhites would certainly be better, in my opinion, for hunting purposes. A minimum of 1 square foot must be provided for each bird. Also, a trap my be worth investing in for birds that  you do not shoot (if you are shooting them) of course if you will not be hunting quail in your region, you may want to explore other birds for training. For example, a chukar is not hunted the same way as a quail.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »