Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 01:47:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  quail have layed eggs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: quail have layed eggs  (Read 10530 times)
Sialia

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 08:41:47 AM »

If I keep the chicks in the incubator for 24 hours after they hatch, do I need to supply food and water during this period?
Is it imperative that I place a rubber mat in the base of the brooder. Thanks guys.

No food and water in the incubator!  Before they hatch they absorb the yolk and that's all the food they need for a while.  Chickens don't need food for about 72 hours after hatching.  I've read that quail need food sooner than that because of higher metabolism.  Maybe someone else can confirm or debunk that though.
rshaskinini

Personal Text

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 08:55:12 AM »

Sialia - thanks so much for that. Very grateful.
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2009, 03:03:39 PM »

No food for the first 24 hrs.  the chicks are absorbing the yolk sac they are supplied with during hatching.  I was told that food given in the first 24 hours can cause illness.  Stomachaches, if you will.  Don't know how they know that, but it makes sense since they don't recieve food when they are shipped right after hatching.  when they go into the brooder is plenty soon enough for food and water.
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2009, 09:04:29 PM »

I don't feed mine till they are in the brooder and even then they don't eat much till a day or two after, then they turn into little piggys,LOL.
rshaskinini

Personal Text

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 04:17:08 AM »

Thanks guys, you are all so helpful.

Can you tell me if I definitely need a rubber mat for the brooder?

sam-e jo

Personal Text

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 02:02:09 PM »

I have a plastic tub with sawdust in it for my brooder, I just took the lid and cut out a big square and put screen on it so I could put my lamp on it. Then when they are about a week or two old I move them to a bigger screened cage that is made for birds that way they don't fly out when they get there wing feathers in and I open the cage to feed them,LOL. I put them in the tub first that way they don't get chilly if a breeze goes through my shed. I don't use any kind of mats just sawdust for both cages. They seem to like it and I have not lost a single bird yet and I have 18 4 weeks old and 20 two weeks old birds.
rshaskinini

Personal Text

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2009, 04:30:47 PM »

Thank you Sam. You're The Man!!
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2009, 06:06:50 PM »

I use the '[big tub' brooder also with just a small difference.  I took some 1x2's and stood them on edge, nailed them together and covered them with wire with 1/4' holes.  I them put cheap duct tape along the edges to avoid any little fellas falling down the sides.  This way there is no chance of them walking in their own doo-doo.  I didn't use the duct tape on the first brooder and had baaaad results!.  In place of the duct tape I have used rolled up newpapers to "stuff" down the sides.
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2009, 09:07:52 PM »

You mean "you the women," LOL!!! s020 Thats a good idea about the screen on the bottum.
courtnell

Personal Text

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2009, 11:14:06 AM »

All this sounds so much fun. How do you make a nest for the hens? Do they normally want to lay in a nest?
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2009, 08:46:50 PM »

They make them them selves.
rshaskinini

Personal Text

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2009, 10:56:24 AM »

BAD, SAD NEWS! I found my chinese painted quail cock dead on the nest a day ago. The hen is alone now, and I am desperately trying to fine a mate for her.

Do the cocks usually sit on the nest, mine did for a long time. Also, is it usual that the hen sometimes tries to 'hump' the cock. I am getting very confused. Is the cock smaller than the hen usually? Also, no babies from the eggs in the incubator...
It is very sad, I feel like giving up but the hen is 'screaming' for her mate
rshaskinini

Personal Text

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2009, 01:14:48 PM »

Do I need to place wire mesh in the incubator and brooder? If so, why? Thanks in advance.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »