Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:33:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Question about Food
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about Food  (Read 2502 times)
SportDog

« on: June 21, 2009, 10:27:31 AM »

I have 500 quail that are going to be 4 weeks old this Wed.
They have done great and I had only lost about 10 in the first 3.5 weeks.
Ran outta the Turkey Starter Mix i was using yesterday and couldnt get more.
I had two bags of Turkey grower from last year that have been sitting in  acovered barn since last October.
So I grabbed it, it had not been wet and looked and smelled fine.
Put some in last night. This mornign I had 22 dead birds.

My question is do you think it may have spoiled in some way, it definitly does not smell that way.
SHould i try to crush it into smaller grains possibly?

Any help would be appreciated as I am at a lose and cannot get more Starter until tomorrow, Not sure if i should pull the food for today and just wait or leave it.

Thanks
SD
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 10:52:28 AM »

i would say that there is possibly something wrong with the food and i wouldn't risk feeding it again, if you can hold out today on food i would because i wouldn't want to risk losing that many or more birds again 

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 03:24:07 PM »

It could also be the switch messed up their tummies.  Usually you try to ween birds on to new food and not just switch over suddenly, when you have the luxury of the old food on hand. 

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
SportDog

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 05:32:30 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, i was thinking it must be the food but just couldnt convince myself since it looked and smelled fine. 
thanks again guys!
SD
DarrenS

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 07:25:53 PM »

I agree with kingwolf. One possibility could be mold toxins developed in the feed over the winter. Sometimes look and smell can be deceiving with old feed.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 07:53:47 AM »

Unless there was some sort of other change in their enviroment, such as, a dip in temperature that caused piling, I would definitely suspect the feed to have something wrong with it. A sudden depletion or insufficient protein levels can cause cannabalism, but I don't believe that they would react to it overnight to the extent that you describe (22 dead).

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
SportDog

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 11:25:51 AM »

Well changed out the food, havent lost another, Lesson learned..thanks guys
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »