Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 04:32:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Newbie Here.....Have a pen floor question.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie Here.....Have a pen floor question.  (Read 3647 times)
Randall

Personal Text

« on: June 25, 2009, 07:37:36 PM »

Hello all,

Just found this site last night, as I'm getting into the quail raising business this weekend.  It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time.  This is a massive and wonderful site filled with information.  I didn't want to quit reading last night.  I have a friend who's letting me have 60 (mixed) Jumbo Bobwhite / Wisconsin Jumbo chicks about 7 weeks old, and I've got a good idea on how I want to build the pen(s).  But, this is where I need y'alls help.......He has these chicks on 1/4" mesh floor wire, and all of his bigger birds on 1/2" mesh floor wire.  Is the 1/2" wire too big for the little chicks feet right now, as I want the droppings to go through as the birds get bigger?  I did a search on "floor wire" and found a lot of info, but maybe didn't go far enough to find the answer to my question.

Thanks for any help,
Randall
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 09:28:05 PM »

Randell, Depends on several things how big is the brooder you are putting them in if it's not that big make a frame the size of the bottom of the brooder covered with 1/4 x 1/4 wire. Then when the chicks get to be about 3-4 weeks old take it out where you have your 1/2 x 1/2 perminate wire floor. Hope you understand the way I'm explaining it. thank ya Jim
Randall

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 09:52:32 PM »

Yes Jim, I understand what you're saying.  Matter of fact, I was thinking about building the pen where I could change the 1/4" mesh to 1/2" mesh without it being such a big deal.  But, since they are going on 8 weeks old, from what I read in this thread..... http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=4534.0 ... looks like they should be OK with 1/2" mesh.  What do you think?

By the way, my pen will be 3' x 9' x 2' high.  I'm putting a partition middle ways of the 9' that can be raised or lowered for seperation if needed with a door to both parts.  Will this be tall enough you think?  Also will 60 quail be too cramped in this pen?

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:57:21 PM by Randall » Logged
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 10:27:36 PM »

They will be fine on 1/2x1/2 at that age.   I usually let my BW's onto 1/2x1/2 at about 1-1 1/2 weeks of age.

I've always used layers of paper towels. I always figured that changing anything out in a brooder full of chicks would be a disaster, especially BW's.   Dealing with paper towels is bad enough. It's only for the first week (for me anyway), so I only have to add a layer or two before it's time to remove them entirely, exposing the 1/2x1/2.     ,,,,,,that's how I do it.

Good Luck........ gl3

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Randall

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 11:12:17 PM »

Thanks, CH.  I kinda figured it would be OK, but wasn't sure.  By the way, the folks I'm getting them from have a red light in brooder pen they're in now.  Do I need to add this to the pen at they're 8 week age, and if so, how long is it needed?  This is all new to me, so pardon the questions.  I just don't want to kill them right out of the gate because of something simple I need to do / not do.

Thanks...

Oh yeah, will the Jumbo BWs and the Wiconsin Jumbos cross-breed?........And do the Jumbo BWs have a typical BW call?  The folks I'm gettin them from said they have never heard them call.  I love that infamous call.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 07:25:19 AM by Randall » Logged
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 11:28:41 PM »

I would want to try to duplicate their current living conditions as far as temperatures went and then ween them off of that.  Unless you're living in the arctic, those birds should have been weened off of supplemental heat a long time ago, at 5-6 weeks maximum.    Keep in mind that if they are used to a 80-90 degree brooder and have never been wet and then you expose them to 60 degree damp rainy nights, you may loose a few. 

80 degrees to 60 degrees is a big jump when you've never done it!

I'd ween them off of the heat for a few days and spray them with water in the process before I just instantly exposed them to no heat whatsoever.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:37:27 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 09:04:15 PM »

agd2                       
Randall

Personal Text

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 09:54:42 PM »

I would want to try to duplicate their current living conditions as far as temperatures went and then ween them off of that.  Unless you're living in the arctic, those birds should have been weened off of supplemental heat a long time ago, at 5-6 weeks maximum.    Keep in mind that if they are used to a 80-90 degree brooder and have never been wet and then you expose them to 60 degree damp rainy nights, you may loose a few. 

80 degrees to 60 degrees is a big jump when you've never done it!

I'd ween them off of the heat for a few days and spray them with water in the process before I just instantly exposed them to no heat whatsoever.
Well CH, from what I understand, the folks that I got the birds from have them in a pen a little smaller than I'm building, and the purpose of the red light is to deter the chicks from pecking one's head to the point that they kill it because of the "red bloody spot" that instigates them to keep on peckin'.  It wasn't necessarily for heat purposes (so I was told)........as it's been hotter'n blue blazed here for 3 weeks now.  This is where I need y'alls opinion.  Y'all seem like you know your stuff, and I appreciate all opinions, suggestions, and criticism.........cause I'm a novice at this, but eager to learn hlp2

Thanks for your's and Jim's help...
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 01:06:30 AM »

The folks I'm gettin them from said they have never heard them call.

They usually won't call if they are all in the same pen.  I've taken a pair and put them in a seperate pen where they can not see the others, they'll start calling and never shut up. Mornings and evening is when they'll yap the most.  Female BW's have been known to call "bob-white" just like the males.........I witnessed it for myself.

Oh yeah, will the Jumbo BWs and the Wiconsin Jumbos cross-breed?........

I've never done it, but I do not see why they wouldn't.  Others may chime in on their experience with that.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »