Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:01:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  quail brooding space preferences
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: quail brooding space preferences  (Read 7114 times)
Rob R

Personal Text

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 07:47:21 AM »

Thanks for all the responses.  I worked on it this weekend, still have to put floor in.  I got 1/4 x 1/4 mesh so they won't be slip-sliding around!!  I built a 4x8 foot box, 10 inches high.  2 light holes for heat lights and 3 holes to set waterers in.  I have 4 side holes to put the feed trays in.  I still have to cut a couple of adjustable holes for some air movement, just in case I need them eventually.  Thanks for the help everyone and I get my 100 chicks next week!

Rob
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 07:09:18 PM »

you will have to post some pics of the finished product and your chicks!  ty2

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 07:13:40 PM »

agd2 exa
Rob R

Personal Text

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 09:04:15 AM »

I got my quail this past tuesday night.  I lost 2 that night after the 1.5 hour trip in an unheated box.  I lost one more the followng day and so far thats all the mortality.  I do have 2 separated as the others were pecking at them, and they're doing ok by themselves.  One was getting pecked on the beak, and the other on the foot.  I have pics and will post them as soon as I get them downloaded.....I also made a few mistakes when building my brooder, that are fixable, but will post them when I post the pics.  Thanks everyone for your help so far!!!
Rob R

Personal Text

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 09:33:13 AM »

So here is a pic of the brooder.  It's 4x8 and about a foot high.  I have the 4 side doors in it to put food in, and I have 3 more cut out of the top to put water in.  There is about a 2x3 foot area cut out of the middle top where the heat lamp is, so if they want heat they go to the center, and if they want to move away, they have the rest of the brooder.  The bottomw is 1/4 inch mesh and under the mesh floor is the plywod floor that is catching droppings/food scatter, etc that I can remove and hose down eventually.

Mistakes:  I only cut holes on one side, so it's hard to reach dead birds, or rescue birds that are being picked on from the other side.  After these birds are out and when I get ready to brood another batch, I will have the same holes cut out on the other side.  Other than that, Ive had the birds about a week.....of the 100, I've lost 8 so far. 

ty2 to everyone who gave me ideas and tips. 
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 10:18:31 AM »

That resembles a coffin!!     sk3     

Just joking!   ^-^

I have somewhat of the same problem with my brooder as far as being able to reach into the entire cage easily.  I think you'll find that getting any dead birds out won't be your biggest problem with access, as they don't move. Getting the "live" birds when it's time to remove them will be real challenge.   :grin:

Let us know how the 1/4" wire works out by the time you finish brooding them.

tu2

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »