Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 07:22:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Quail in battery breeding pens
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quail in battery breeding pens  (Read 11533 times)
zipper

« on: February 28, 2008, 05:21:42 PM »

I keep my breeding pairs of bobwhite and cortunix quail in a GQF 30 section battery pen for egg production. Has anyone ever tried the Gambels, California Valley, or Texas blue scales in this type arrangement? I know these breeds are a little more flighty than the others but it would sure be nice to breed them with this arrangemnt.
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 08:54:09 PM »

Yup, it can be done. That's how I keep my layers.

Chris

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 06:03:20 AM »

Chris do u keep them in trios r prs. ?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 07:37:02 AM »

This is what I made specifically for the valley, gambel and scaled quail.   Only the front was wire.  With the birds being so skidish and unable to tame down, they could run to the back of the compartment where it was slightly darker and feel safe.

The GQF style rollouts might work too.  I would just recommend to isolate the pen so only the front side was exposed to people, etc walking by and you'll need to get a 1x board to lay under the feed trays so they don't get out where the eggs roll out (The valley, gambel and scaled are much smaller bodied).

MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 01:16:54 PM »

I kept 2 dozen Valley in a GQF Brooder for about 5 months.  They even started laying in it.  Have since moved them outside since it has warmed up, but they did fine during that time.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 07:42:47 PM »

Chris do u keep them in trios r prs. ?

Pairs. Although I see some keep thiers in trios, I have best fertility if they are kept in pair, plus they are less crowded if kept in the standard 1' X 2' breeder pen.

Chris

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
mark

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 02:36:54 PM »

I have battery pen, but the dividers are wire not solid covering will that be a problem with my 3 sets of breeder quail.

Mark
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 10:09:47 PM »

Bird Brained could u please post a close-up of 1 of those pens.I would like to build some like them. From what I can see they look real good. Thanks

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
zipper

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »

Bird Braied, those pens look very good. I, too, would like to build some like them although the picture you posted is quite fuzzt when I try to look at it closer. I would also appreciate some dimensional information as well.

P.S. Thanks to everyone for their advice I will be sure to use it.
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 06:21:17 PM »

Sorry for the fuzzy pictures.  The pictures I have of this cage were taken with one of the early digital cameras years ago.  When I decided to sell my western quail varieties, the guy from Virginia that bought all my birds also bought the cages I kept them in.

That said, I'm limited on what pictures I have to share....sorry.

The overall size of the unit was 8 ft long x 2 feet deep x 6 ft tall.  Each compartment was approx 12 inch tall x 19 inch wide x 24 inch deep.

The very outer framework is 2x4's and the inner framework is all 2x2's.  It was inside a building so the entire outside of the enclosure was luan board (light in weight) and the dividers between compartements, as well as the flooring was the thinest plywood I could find.  The unit was on caster to ease moving it around to clean under and behind it.

oh yeah, I kept them in pairs.  They seemed to do much better that way.

Anyway, here is another picture I found from a closer range.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 06:27:37 PM by Bird Brained » Logged
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 08:20:05 PM »

Man I am impressed with how clean everthing is in that picture..The floors of each pen were plywood and not wire. What kind of substraight did u use on the floors of each pen? Thanks

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 11:21:07 PM »

I have battery pen, but the dividers are wire not solid covering will that be a problem with my 3 sets of breeder quail.

Mark

Mark

Hasn't been for me, but if the partitions were of 2X2, or 2X4 wire, it might be tempting.  You could attach pieces of plastic to the wire, if you have problems.  It may depend on the Quail, are we talking about Coturnix?

For what it's worth, I have a couple of GQF cages, with the solid partitions, as well, and there is no difference in fertility.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 06:34:07 PM »

What kind of substraight did u use on the floors of each pen?

...the dividers between compartements, as well as the flooring was the thinest plywood I could find.

Slider - I also sent you a PM.

P.s. I have several 30 section GQF rollout unitstoo.  They did work, but I got better results with the homemade unit for the western quail varieties.  I still use the GQF units for my bobwhites...here's a pic of some of this years bobwhite layers...

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 06:43:39 PM by Bird Brained » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »