Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 08:12:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Adding new BW hens
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adding new BW hens  (Read 5444 times)
canadamanada

« on: January 13, 2008, 09:12:09 PM »

I breed mostly wild-type Japanese coturnix, but I was recently gifted a pair of Bobwhites.
They sem to have a good pair bond and are still immature birds. Both very, very calm. I want to know if I can add 2 more BW hens to the mix.
Thanks

Justin

Everything works, until the day that it doesn't.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 10:47:24 PM »

I'm not famailiar with your coturnix.   But I'd put money on the bobs killing it.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:55:31 PM »

Why would you want to ?

You have a stable pair.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
canadamanada

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 12:09:35 AM »

I'm not famailiar with your coturnix.   But I'd put money on the bobs killing it.

"BW hens" meaning BOBWHITE hens.
I'm not dumb enough to put coturnix with BWs.

canadamanada

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 12:10:18 AM »

Why would you want to ?

You have a stable pair.

So that I can have the male fertilise more than the single female's eggs.

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 12:12:58 AM »

You'll have much better "luck" with just pairs.
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 07:30:45 AM »

If you are looking for quantity production get a couple hundred and raise them out. If you want to learn about Bobwhites then get a pair or two, and keep them under good conditions and learn.  Trios and more arenot good conditions. 

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 07:46:51 AM »

"BW hens" meaning BOBWHITE hens.
I'm not dumb enough to put coturnix with BWs.

Sorry, my mistake. I forgot to fill in and read between the lines.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 07:59:52 AM »

I have 1 Coturnix japonica male with 3 females, Fri. I bought 2 more males, I thought I could then have 3 breeding prs.. One female killed her new mate in less than a few minutes. s176
 I didn't mix species or over populate,(each pr. is in a 2'wx4'lx2'h raised wire pen)  different age groups is all it took this time.
 The other female accepted her new mate no problem, and yes these birds have been sexed by a breeder for me.
 Reading some on here and the rest of the net, it turns out that it is the female that proves to be the most aggressive s80

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 08:30:57 PM »

The only way that u could ever get away adding new BW`s together is to move them all to a new pen. Do it at night and put hen new hens in first then wait a few minutes and add the pair. This does not work all of the time, but it is the only way you will ever do it. By the way 3 hen is pushing it for BW males..But if that is ur total amount of BW`s u hav  I`d do it...Good Luck...Keep an eye on them at first..

komer

gamebird breeder wannabe

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 12:18:32 PM »

I have 1 Coturnix japonica male with 3 females, Fri. I bought 2 more males, I thought I could then have 3 breeding prs.. One female killed her new mate in less than a few minutes. s176
 I didn't mix species or over populate,(each pr. is in a 2'wx4'lx2'h raised wire pen)  different age groups is all it took this time.
 The other female accepted her new mate no problem, and yes these birds have been sexed by a breeder for me.
 Reading some on here and the rest of the net, it turns out that it is the female that proves to be the most aggressive s80

in my opinion when you put new birds in pen,there will be killing,like in your way..i am doing like this,when i have new birds (same species) that i want to put with birds that i allready have,i allways put them together in NEW pen,because i had a situation like yours.....my opinion is that when birds are few months in same pen,they threat pen like their teritory,and dont like new birds in their teritory....hope you understand...
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 06:02:05 PM »

You are right Komer, I did put them in a new pen, it got very cold here and I had to build the new pens inside my heated garage, no birds were in their new homes more than a couple of hours before I added the others.

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »