Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 08:38:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  daddy singing all day long...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: daddy singing all day long...  (Read 2603 times)
manon

« on: May 05, 2007, 05:49:30 PM »

hello everyone! all you guys said happened right on time!...the babys born 6 month ago layed their first egg yesterday...not sure if anyone remembers but Mummy left the nest and ran away last early september and daddy was alone to sit on the eggs and raise the babies...now they are all grown up and I can't even make the difference between the daddy and the young males anymore but I know that one of them is singing his head off all day and sometimes in the middle of the night...it sounds just like a human wissle and it's very loud, it took us a while to realize it was the quails...anyway, I am wondering if it's a normal happy song or if he is crying for his bride who left home 6 month ago...I think that she may still be around in the woods and could be talking back to him...does that sound like something possible???anyway if it is I am not sure that there is anything I can do about it!
thank you for your thoughts, Marie-laure
CalebK273

Mandarin Drake at the house.

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 02:08:16 PM »

Marie,

With wild bobwhites, the hen lays one clutch of eggs (the first one) and leaves them for the male to lay on.  Then, she lays another clutch for her to lay on.  It's normal for the hen to leave, but she will still be around when it comes mating season.  You just never see the hen or hear her that often.

I am wondering if it's a normal happy song or if he is crying for his bride who left home 6 month ago?

It's not a sad song, but he is most likely calling back to her or else responding to other males in the area.

Good luck with the birds,

Caleb K.

Caleb L. Kordsmeier
I have Woodducks, Mandarins, AGB's and BB Red OEG.
Visit My Website
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 10:12:28 AM »

He's a darn fool if he's crying for his bride that left him 6 months ago!!   :laugh:  If he's a smart male he would have wrote that one off within an hour of her leaving and should be calling for a replacement. Their just like taxis....wait a few minutes and another one will be by!     :angel:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CalebK273

Mandarin Drake at the house.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 05:51:57 PM »

LOL trailboss

Caleb L. Kordsmeier
I have Woodducks, Mandarins, AGB's and BB Red OEG.
Visit My Website
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »