Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 11:12:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  adding young quail to old
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: adding young quail to old  (Read 3340 times)
debbates
« on: September 20, 2005, 01:00:15 AM »

I'm trying to put about 150 bobwhite quail chicks (6 week olds) into a large (12 X 75') pen with about 30 older bobwhites.  The older birds chase the chicks and peck at them....so far I've only let about 25 chicks out to see what would happen, not good results.  If I provide a lot of cover, and let all the young birds out, will the older birds leave the younger ones alone, or is this useless?  Do I have to move the older ones out?  Any suggestions?
rushcreek

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 07:47:00 AM »

Quail are very territorial. They won't leave them alone and they will kill the new younger birds. (Believe me. I know this from experience.)
 It can be done, but you'll have to move all of the older birds out of your pen for a few days. Change things around in the pen a little. Maybe move the waterers or feeders, add some brush. Then put all of your birds in at the same time. The older birds will not remember that it was their pen.
 Hope this helps a little.

Rush Creek Quail Farm
http://www.rushcreek.net
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 09:09:12 AM »

just as rushcreek said do not mix new birds with old unless you remove them all from pen and replace them at the same time and this does not work 100%
mollymalone
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 03:51:26 PM »

thanks ,i was sbout to ask that question
debbates
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 12:55:33 AM »

I moved almost all of the big birds to a little cage and then changed the big cage around (pruned the vines and added brush for cover.  I let the little birds out first then a few hours later let out the older ones.  It's been 3 days and I haven't seen anyone getting picked on.  The older birds don't seem to be bothered with the younger ones.  Now if I can just find a way to get rid of the ground squirrels, I be in quail heaven....
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 10:40:25 AM »

.17 cal works great
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »