Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:45:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  So What Did I Miss
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So What Did I Miss  (Read 3396 times)
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« on: December 14, 2011, 07:51:29 PM »

Hello all - Merry Christmas and hope everyone had a good year!

Construction season is finally done up here in NW WI and getting into figuring out where I screwed up and trying to find work for the next crazy year.  Didn't get a chance to raise any birds this year but have the pens and incubators ready to go for next year.  Feed prices knocked me out of business this year.  Couldn't afford to have that much invested in feed prior to any sales.  Also, I got promoted so not as much time at home.  Hopefully next year we can get back on track with the business, possibly at a smaller degree than what we tried last year.  I have too much invested in the pens to pull the plug on it and our daughter is old enough now to actually enjoy seeing the birds.

How did everyone do this year?  Sounds like prices on birds were up about $0.50 a bird this year around here.  The local clubs are still having pretty good sales even with having to bump their prices up.  Did you guys see about the same increase and did sales stay about the same?

Seems the forum has slowed down a bit but I hope you all are doing well and maybe she'll pick up in the off season  :laugh:

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 06:13:35 AM »

Hello all - Merry Christmas and hope everyone had a good year!

Construction season is finally done up here in NW WI and getting into figuring out where I screwed up and trying to find work for the next crazy year.  Didn't get a chance to raise any birds this year but have the pens and incubators ready to go for next year.  Feed prices knocked me out of business this year.  Couldn't afford to have that much invested in feed prior to any sales.  Also, I got promoted so not as much time at home.  Hopefully next year we can get back on track with the business, possibly at a smaller degree than what we tried last year.  I have too much invested in the pens to pull the plug on it and our daughter is old enough now to actually enjoy seeing the birds.

How did everyone do this year?  Sounds like prices on birds were up about $0.50 a bird this year around here.  The local clubs are still having pretty good sales even with having to bump their prices up.  Did you guys see about the same increase and did sales stay about the same?

Seems the forum has slowed down a bit but I hope you all are doing well and maybe she'll pick up in the off season  :laugh:

Hi Bear!

I just happened to be passing through and noticed your post. Congratulations!! you are the first new post since Dec 5th.

It has been slow here like this most of the year. People change and so do the hobbies.

Feed prices around here have doubled. What I pay now for a ton, I was getting two ton last year.

Slow wet season here since the beginning of the year. Cost cutting is getting harder and harder. I don't see to much on the up swing in things here until Obama and his liberal progressive administration is out of office.

His EPA has put a hurting on the coal/Oil and natural gas industry in WV for the most part, and there isn't much of anything else here for employment. I'd say that WV is at least 55% military, 25% mining and 8% State and Fed workers with the remaining balance of 12% being within the local hotel/food/medical/chemical/forestry and construction industries which are one way or the other affected by the Obama administrations regulations.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and the family!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 06:52:18 AM »

Little bear - if you are looking for winter work, check on want ads in Alberta. Starting in Jan. things are going full swing & there is a shortage of qualified workers.
There are others from the States up here working. No idea on what is required to work up here though.
I do know you will need a fist full of tickets. PM for more info on that.
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 10:12:28 PM »

Thanks for the offer but we still work all winter, hours are cut to about 50 a week though (love salary).  Buddy of mine was just up your way, he drew a whitetail and wolf tag.  Got a 6 pt but never saw a wolf.  If that tag was legal back down here in WI, he would have it filled in no time.  But, they are a protected BS species in this state.  DNR reintroduced them about ten years ago and say there are about 350 in WI.  They have 31 confirmed kills that illegally happened during this past gun deer season.  We found two dead deer carcasses on a 40 acre of my dads and neighbors found 5 on their 240.  I think there may be more than the 350 they claim. 

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 08:38:21 AM »

Bringing the Wolf back was a bad idea.
Up here there are so many now all the Deer, Elk, Moose etc are being hit hard & populations are dropping fast.
Same will happen in your State.
cathunter10

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 07:45:46 AM »

Wellcome back little bear hope you stick around.Merry Christmas.
   Bill
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »