Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:34:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  does this necesitate medicine or am i over-reacting?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: does this necesitate medicine or am i over-reacting?  (Read 3434 times)
quailer370
Expert Member

« on: December 21, 2004, 07:31:17 PM »

one of my coturnix sounds like he has the sniffles.  there's no nasal discharge, but if i put my ear close to his beak he sounds kind of stuffed up.  also, something (no idea what) on the side of his beak is itching at him-he keeps scratching it and shaking his head constantly, and tapping his beak on objects in a weird way-like he's trying to scrape something off the bottom of it...??  i have a general antibiotic i can put in his water, but am wondering if it is actually necessary.

thanks,
                                                                    quailer370

this is an edit but i just noticed-there is a bit of discharge in one corner of his beak, at the base.  it does seem to be bothering him.

life's like a bucket of wood shavings, except when the shavings are in a pail...then life's like a PAIL of wood shavings :D
klsquail
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 01:19:01 PM »

Hi, quailer370.  It sounds like your quail might have a respriatory infection, like pneumonia or bronchitis.  If it's bacterial your quail will steadily get better or worse antibotics will probably help.  If it's viral his condition will change.  (He'll seem better thatn worse, than better again...).  If he's got a virus there's not much you can do.  Then again he might just have a cold.  Hope he gets better.

klsquail
quailer370
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 01:05:18 AM »

thanks, klsquail.  i guess ill put him on the antibiotic for a while, then; he doesnt seem to have any more symptoms, but an ounce of something is worth a pound...yeah i never really got that one.  :wink:  you catch my drift.  will antibiotics cure it or just help-what would be a cure for a bacterial infection?  what causes these infections or viruses, anyway? none of my other birds are sick...

thanks,
quailer370

life's like a bucket of wood shavings, except when the shavings are in a pail...then life's like a PAIL of wood shavings :D
klsquail
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 10:36:08 AM »

Antibiotics should kill off any bacteria--or at least make a good dent in the population so your quail's immune system has a chance to work.  It might say it on the package but don't overuse antibiotics, the bacteria will build a resitance to the drug, if nothing seems to be working try switch to another antibiotic.  Bacterial infections are caused by a foreign bacteria or too much of a natural bacteria building up and overwhelming the body.  Since nobody else is showing signs of disease either they're all immune or it's a virus.  Virus can be spread through body fluids, air, water, food, etc... or insects.  (Not much of a problem here in cold northern Illinois, the mosquitoes have been gone for months!  :) )  Viruses invade the bodies immune cells, reproduce like made until the cell burst open, killing the host's cell and releasing hundreds of viral cell, which turn around and do the same thing, again, overwhelming the bodies immune system.  To cure an infection of any kind, you'll have to identify, and treat it with a antibiotic or other drug the infection is not resitant to.  That can mean a vet, blood cultyres, lab tests... you get the idea, so it can get pricey, but if your entire flock is getting sick it might be worth it.  Hope this helps

klsquail
quailer370
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 02:35:38 PM »

he seems better now-i have him on this stuff called Marvel-aid that's just a general antibiotic...it says administer full-strength, like replace it as his drinking water, but i have been diluting it a little-it seems to work anyway. no other birds are showing symptoms.   :) thanks again!

-quailer370

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »