Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:04:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  2-3 wk old Bob Whites dying
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2-3 wk old Bob Whites dying  (Read 10846 times)
ssbuman
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2005, 04:04:07 PM »

Below is an article which may be of help to you .  I also included the web site address which I found it on.

Game bird feeds are available with several types of medications for preventing or treating diseases. The two most common medications added to feeds are coccidiostats and antibiotics.

Coccidiosis is a disease of the digestive tract caused by protozoan organisms called coccidia. It is difficult to control by sanitation practices alone. The best prevention is continuous use of a drug or coccidiostat that reduces coccidia populations. The coccidiostat is usually added to the feed at low levels and fed continuously. Some coccidiostats are given at elevated levels for treating the disease when symptoms appear. Consult a nutritionist or pathologist before increasing the drug level, since some coccidiostats are toxic at elevated levels.

Growing birds are fed rations containing a coccidiostat from hatch until the last week before slaughter. An unmedicated diet is fed during the last week to assure no drug residues remain in the tissues of the birds. This feeding of unmedicated diets before slaughter is recommended when using any dietary drug, regardless of whether drug restriction is required or not.

As birds mature, they develop a resistance to the coccidia organisms if you control exposure. Birds grown for breeder replacements are fed a coccidiostat until about 16 weeks of age. The medicated feed is then replaced with a feed not containing a coccidiostat. Spotty outbreaks of the disease are controlled by including a coccidiostat in drinking water. Two coccidiostats with Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for use in quail feeds are monensin sodium (CobanĀ®) and amprolium.

Antibiotics are also added to some feeds to improve performance and maintain healthy birds. When added at low (prophylactic) levels, antibiotics prevent minor diseases and produce faster, more efficient growth. Higher (therapeutic) levels for treating disease outbreaks are usually given in water or injected into the bird. Examples of FDA approved antibiotics for quail diets are bacitracin and penicillin.

This information was found at http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2383.htm
jk
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2005, 01:47:07 PM »

Hi what is probably wrong is that your friend needs to feed his quail game bird crumbles and not cor or some kind of feed with 28% protein.He may also not be putting Sulmet(poultry and cow medicine) in their water. It keeps tem from getting diseases and bacterial infections. I also had problems with my quail dying and they also looked like they were having seizures. I hope my comment helps thanks.
tinyavenger
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2005, 10:43:00 AM »

Is "Sulmet" available in small quantities? He only has a few quail left but the female is sitting eggs again.
rsMD
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 01:57:27 PM »

Well this is quite an interesting topic! I, too, have a question related to the size of feed for 2-3 week old baby bobs. We just got 5 bobs a few days ago, 2 week old.  I'm feeding them turkey crumble- 26% protien. My husband fishes, so we had a container of mealworms in the fridge that we gave to them and they gobbled them up. They luuhhved the mealworms.

After reading this, now I realize I may have really hurt them. I feel so bad! Being a mother, I wonder...

... if I rub their little tummies, will that help them digest the mealworms?  When are they allowed to eat mealworms? (If I missed something or am in the wrong forum, please let me know :)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »