Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:05:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  It,s official.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: It,s official.  (Read 8095 times)
birddog
Expert Member

« on: July 10, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »

I just received my official  wildlife propagator permit and I am now officially blessed by the state of Maine to possess raise and breed Ringneck pheasant and Bobwhite quail. I am also permitted to use firearms during the training of sporting dogs. that part was surprising I expected more questions and inspections.  but thats OK. I will take anything they want to give. I now have 3 licences from the state one to raise birds one to shoot them while training my dogs and one to sell the puppies my dogs have the last license is only good for about a month at a time though.

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 10:57:36 PM »

congrats on your new status!
Wish I had a farm to do all that on.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 11:00:23 PM »

Sounds great!  Makes a person feel all fuzzy inside knowing they have the pleasure of paying more taxes (permits) on top of the 80-90% of your income you already pay.   ^-^

s98

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 11:43:01 PM »

thats right $27.00 for a two year propagation permit and $25.00 for the (temporary vendors license) that is good for a Little more than a month  to sell puppies. I have had birds for the past 5 years and never payed attention to the regulations like everyone else around here. but recently I was told that the state was cracking down  so I made it official. basically gave them their $27.00 and told them who I am and where I live. and they gave me an excerpt from a magazine titled raising ringneck pheasants successfully  dated  (fall 1961) state of the art info..

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 07:57:10 AM »

I just received my official  wildlife propagator permit and I am now officially blessed by the state of Maine to possess raise and breed Ringneck pheasant and Bobwhite quail. I am also permitted to use firearms during the training of sporting dogs. that part was surprising I expected more questions and inspections.  but thats OK. I will take anything they want to give. I now have 3 licences from the state one to raise birds one to shoot them while training my dogs and one to sell the puppies my dogs have the last license is only good for about a month at a time though.

It's about time  s020 Now just wait for the unexpected inspections and citations if you aren't following the rules and regulations s80 What about paperwork? What are they requiring from you as far as the birds?

Never heard of a permit to sell puppies.  s53 crooks s020

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 09:42:20 PM »

the only rules I see so far is any Birds imported in from out of state need to be documented . health cert npip etc.and if I release any birds they have to be banded and the band #s registered with the state.

Never heard of a permit to sell puppies.  s53 crooks s020                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   thats the way I feel  the state had a couple of high profile puppy mill cases recently. real nasty stuff ignorant people. the powers that be decided that making anyone that sells more than a couple of dogs or cats within a one year period  get what they call a temporary vendors license  and that will solve all the problems. only thing is it;s only good for a little better than a month and with a litter of 9 or 10 pups it could take a while to sell them, and we are still reading about the same nasty abuse cases. had another one just the other day.

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 07:03:18 AM »

the only rules I see so far is any Birds imported in from out of state need to be documented . health cert npip etc.and if I release any birds they have to be banded and the band #s registered with the state.

Never heard of a permit to sell puppies.  s53 crooks s020                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   thats the way I feel  the state had a couple of high profile puppy mill cases recently. real nasty stuff ignorant people. the powers that be decided that making anyone that sells more than a couple of dogs or cats within a one year period  get what they call a temporary vendors license  and that will solve all the problems. only thing is it;s only good for a little better than a month and with a litter of 9 or 10 pups it could take a while to sell them, and we are still reading about the same nasty abuse cases. had another one just the other day.

if I release any birds they have to be banded and the band #s registered with the state.
Are you required to purchase the bands from the state, or an independent supplier recognised by the state, and then recording the band #s?

What about the dog training end of this, the birds that are released for this purpose, do they get banded also, if not what happens to the ones that get away?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 01:43:31 AM »

no we do not have to buy the bands from the state . (yet) but they will figure that out.  s80 they do list a supplier but they say any manufacturer is acceptable. and I have to register the #s with the state when I get them. as for having released birds banded. quote from the paperwork they gave me.  q+a section.   May I release wild birds from my pens?  "only after obtaining written permission from the commissioner. this authorization commonly applies only to ringneck pheasant.additionally, the commissioner may require that an agent of the department prior to approval inspect the release site "
 after rereading the info I see I only have to band birds that I sell. as it states I" must mark wild birds or wild animals live or dressed prior to sale or shipment from the licensee's premises with a perminant numbered identifying mark or seal  and register the mark seal or band with the commissioner prior to its use"
 they also go on to say that if i cannot find a supplier from Maine .( they list 3 suppliers in state ) that I may purchase wild bird stock including eggs from out of state dealers only after obtaining an importation permit from the commissioner
   I think I have to call the commissioner every day before I feed and water the birds to see if I need a permit for that. s020

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 05:00:50 AM »

no we do not have to buy the bands from the state . (yet) but they will figure that out.  s80 they do list a supplier but they say any manufacturer is acceptable. and I have to register the #s with the state when I get them. as for having released birds banded. quote from the paperwork they gave me.  q+a section.   May I release wild birds from my pens?  "only after obtaining written permission from the commissioner. this authorization commonly applies only to ringneck pheasant.additionally, the commissioner may require that an agent of the department prior to approval inspect the release site "
 after rereading the info I see I only have to band birds that I sell. as it states I" must mark wild birds or wild animals live or dressed prior to sale or shipment from the licensee's premises with a perminant numbered identifying mark or seal  and register the mark seal or band with the commissioner prior to its use"
 they also go on to say that if i cannot find a supplier from Maine .( they list 3 suppliers in state ) that I may purchase wild bird stock including eggs from out of state dealers only after obtaining an importation permit from the commissioner
   I think I have to call the commissioner every day before I feed and water the birds to see if I need a permit for that. s020

birddog,

Kinda puts the kibosh on the Ring-neckeds. $27.00 for a two-year propagation permit, and they may let your release on their approval of a release site?
only after obtaining written permission from the commissioner. this authorization commonly applies only to ringneck pheasant.additionally, the commissioner may require that an agent of the department prior to approval inspect the release site "
So what happens if the C.O. has a bug up his a$$? Now this pertains to pheasants only correct?

So, the dog training, which falls under the $27.00 permit, is for training on Bobwhite Quail only, and there is no banding of the birds and no notification to your local C.O.?

Is this correct, you only have 3 suppliers in state?

The out of state importation is basically the same as WV. Importation permit valid only for 30days and must come from point of origin, no second or third party sales on the original health certificate.

Did the C.O. come down to inspect prior to the issuance of your wildlife propagator permit? What about the birds now in your pen, Do they have any bands showing that they were legally obtained or any paperwork to protect your assets? 

You stated that the rule was if you sell the bird, live or dressed it had to be tagged, and the commissioner notified, can you sell live birds to a non-licensed person, or are you confined to selling only live birds to another wildlife licensed propagator?

Is there a direct link to the Rules and Regulations on this?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 10:06:44 PM »

Steve. thats right. they may.. but  i am not to worried about that. I have 10 acres and one neighbor has almost 200 acres (all pastures with woodlines between and about 50 acres is recently cut forest in regrowth) and the neighbor on the other side has about 50 acres of old growth pine , beech, maple and oak so there is plenty of habitat. as far as pertaining only to pheasant they leave that open to interpretation by stating " quote.. this authorization commonly applies only to ringnecks that leaves a lot to the imagination leaves a lot of room for the com,s  s53bugs as for dog training it says nothing about quail and all the bird dog clubs around use quail. . the state only releases stocking pheasant in the southernmost part of the state where all the money is.. my experience with the stocking program is first thing in the morning they release a bunch of birds. shortly thereafter the fields are full of hunters. dozen,t leave much. dog training using firearms is an addition to the $27.00 prop permit. does not cost any more just another box to check.  yes there are only 3 suppliers listed as state approved. they also list 4 out of state suppliers  as far as inspections go I had to be signed off by a game warden. as far as the birds I have now I gather they should be documented . but I only have a few right now and they are descendants of 3 separate MC Murray's  orders from the last 5 years. and as for selling  birds yes I am only supposed to sell birds and eggs to licensed propergators.  I do not think this info has a direct Link but I will look. going by the rules is a pain

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 06:56:16 AM »

Steve. thats right. they may.. but  i am not to worried about that. I have 10 acres and one neighbor has almost 200 acres (all pastures with woodlines between and about 50 acres is recently cut forest in regrowth) and the neighbor on the other side has about 50 acres of old growth pine , beech, maple and oak so there is plenty of habitat. as far as pertaining only to pheasant they leave that open to interpretation by stating " quote.. this authorization commonly applies only to ringnecks that leaves a lot to the imagination leaves a lot of room for the com,s  s53bugs as for dog training it says nothing about quail and all the bird dog clubs around use quail. . the state only releases stocking pheasant in the southernmost part of the state where all the money is.. my experience with the stocking program is first thing in the morning they release a bunch of birds. shortly thereafter the fields are full of hunters. dozen,t leave much. dog training using firearms is an addition to the $27.00 prop permit. does not cost any more just another box to check.  yes there are only 3 suppliers listed as state approved. they also list 4 out of state suppliers  as far as inspections go I had to be signed off by a game warden. as far as the birds I have now I gather they should be documented . but I only have a few right now and they are descendants of 3 separate MC Murray's  orders from the last 5 years. and as for selling  birds yes I am only supposed to sell birds and eggs to licensed propergators.  I do not think this info has a direct Link but I will look. going by the rules is a pain

birddog,

So if you wanted to release 100 or so Ring-necked Pheasants on your property as juvies for the chance of propagation, and it is in no way near any of the States stocking areas during the hunting season, would they have a problem with this?

Also, would the state have to be notified and the birds banded as well, or is it that they have to be adults and then banded?

Is it the State of Maine's consensus that once the birds are released, they become the property of the State as well, and all hunting rules and regulations are also enforced?

In WV, under my DNR Game Farm License, I can do what ever I want with the birds as long as they are penned and logged. I can sell to the non-licensed public at any time. It is the general publics responsibility to obtain the harboring permit. I can release where ever I want at anytime of the year, but once the birds are released, they become the ward of the state, and all hunting rules and regulations apply.

Anyone receiving the birds get a copy of the Game Farm Acquisition \ Disposition form showing there name address and phone number. I keep a copy and the State gets a copy as well. I have to mail this form in within 15 days of transfer. So if the DNR wants to check the person who purchased the birds out they can. They will also know whether they are state licensed or not. Unlicensed buyers have 24-hrs to dispose of the birds, either by eating them or releasing them on their property. If they still have them after the 24-hr period, they are in a world of hurting.

If I have an over abundance of hens, I sell them with the cocks as a 50/50 split discounted price. You can't hunt the pheasant hens in the State of WV , so they either have to slaughter them or release them as well.

As far as hatchable eggs go, they get the same form. Then report the actual birth if they go for the licence. Again a paper trail. Consumable eggs they don't care about.

The dog training year round permit is only good for Bobwhite Quail and pigeons, and the quail have to be banded before release.

We have it pretty good down here. NYS is another pain in the a$$ as far as regs go on harboring wild game birds of any sorts. I'am sure jchiar could relate to that.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 12:09:15 AM »

Steve. sorry for the slow reply , internet troubles..   I think what there getting at is they would rather not allow the release of any birds by private parties  and pheasant do not do well here anyhow  for some reason? they do OK in southern NH and all over Mass. any I would release would be for my own use with the dogs. and from the info I got I think they would all have to be banded. there is no mention of  adult or juvenile birds.  and yes once they are released they belong to the state. that is where my training permit comes into play on my own land only. as for buying they are pretty clear. I have to buy from a licensed breeder. but I am still unclear on the selling part. I will have to run that by someone at the  dept of rules and regulations. they like to make things as vague as possible so one has to call and speak to an overworked underpaid stat worker between their breaks that is.that is why I am glad I am only in this for my dogs training and to sell enough birds to cover some of my costs. although I did speak with the owner of a resteraunt who stopped by and was interested in putting pheasant on his menu.  but that would mean another set of permits and inspections from an entirely different department of rules and regulations   :police: :police:

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 03:05:12 AM »

Steve. sorry for the slow reply , internet troubles..   I think what there getting at is they would rather not allow the release of any birds by private parties  and pheasant do not do well here anyhow  for some reason? they do OK in southern NH and all over Mass. any I would release would be for my own use with the dogs. and from the info I got I think they would all have to be banded. there is no mention of  adult or juvenile birds.  and yes once they are released they belong to the state. that is where my training permit comes into play on my own land only. as for buying they are pretty clear. I have to buy from a licensed breeder. but I am still unclear on the selling part. I will have to run that by someone at the  dept of rules and regulations. they like to make things as vague as possible so one has to call and speak to an overworked underpaid stat worker between their breaks that is.that is why I am glad I am only in this for my dogs training and to sell enough birds to cover some of my costs. although I did speak with the owner of a resteraunt who stopped by and was interested in putting pheasant on his menu.  but that would mean another set of permits and inspections from an entirely different department of rules and regulations   :police: :police:

birddog,

No problem on the delayed reply s020 Seems like the game farm permit(wildlife propagator permit) is quite limited in what you can actually do. Quote: any I would release would be for my own use with the dogs. and from the info I got I think they would all have to be banded. Was the dog training permit included with wildlife propagator permit? Oh, does your permit cover the breeding of Chukar, and their use as well, for dog training?
You never stated this.

Now, are you allowed to train your dogs year round if you so desire, as a shoot to retrieve training on pheasants, either hen or cock and Bobwhite Quail and as a no limited bag, since the birds released would be banded for identification as raise birds not wild?

Just a couple more questions,

If you have someone not in the immediate area, non adjoining farm and wants to buy birds from you to release on his property during the normal upland hunting season, could this be legally done? Would you need the commissioners okay on this, or would the person requesting his farm to be stocked for private hunting have to seek the commissioners okay on this? I would assume all birds would have to be banded and logged.

Same question as far as a farmer trying to propagate wild birds. Can you do the owners farm, or do you need the commissioners okay prior to release, or is it the owners responsibility to get his farm evaluated by the commissioner?

When is your Upland Hunting Season for Bobwhite Quail and Ring-necked Pheasant, and do they come in at the same time? What are the daily and season bag limits whether they are released or wild?

When the Upland Bird Hunting Season is open, is your dog training permit void at this time? .......and when the season is open is it hen and cock, or cock only?

Can anyone in the State of Maine obtain the Dog Training Permit that you have, without having the wildlife propagator permit  for raising wild game birds?

The reason for the questions is for the comparison between Maine and WV as a licensed bird breeder.

In WV, you can get a dog training permit for $10.00 per year. (Jan.1- Dec. 31) On this permit, you can harbor no more then 30 Bobwhite Quail or Pigeons. Pheasants and Chukar are not included in the yearly dog training permit. You can't sell or breed the birds either. All birds released have to be banded. The space and pen requirements are the same as the Regular Game Farm License. You can shoot, one or all the birds in a days time.

Then, they have Field trial permits that must be a sanctioned event, and no firearms and only good for two days.

.......and they have the Shoot-to-Retrieve permits which also must be a sanctioned event. With these, they can use Pheasant(either sex), Quail, Chukar, Pigeon, and no limit, and no birds have to be banded. These are usually pre-hunting season events

Since WV doesn't have an Upland Game Bird Season for Chukar, and you wanted to purchase these to release on your property along with pheasant and quail to hunt when in season, you would have to first obtain the shoot-to-retrieve permit just to cover ya arse on shooting the Chukar and no bag limit, while adhering to the hunting regs on the daily limits for the pheasants and quail that you just purchased.

If I am stocking a farm during the upland bird hunting season, the farm owner get a copy of the transfer and I have it marked as released for season hunting on site, and then just mail the form into the DNR. Naturally it is up to the landowner/hunter to abide by the hunting regs.

The same thing for the spring time propagation I do on the local farms. I just mark the form as released for propagation, and no questions asked.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 11:49:22 AM »

it does seem a bit limited. there are a lot of details I will need to get cleared up. I do know that any pheasant released need to be banded I just spoke with another guy who used to raise pheasant and quail and has had his permit for 30 or so years and he said the bands have  to have my name and address on them.as well as an ID# but he also said the state has never checked him on anything.

the training permit is an addition to the prop permit you can opt to apply for it or not. to get the training permit you have to have a prop permit first  as you will be training on your own birds. but if you think about that. as soon as you release them their not yours anymore ??? I did not ask about chukar but as far as I know they are OK and all I would have to do is notify them that I had them and how many I had. as for training year round yes. I can train any time. on my own property as for shooting hens and bag limits?? good question I would assume since their my released birds but you know what assume did.. I will need to check.  to release pheasant on someone Else's land I would need approval . and I wouldn,t doubt it if the landowner would need some sort of permit also. I think what this all boils down to is the state just wants to know who is releasing birds and where. field trials are the same as you.  I have never heard of  shoot to retrieve! the season for birds is Oct 1 through DEC 31 and includes all small game bag limits are   pheasant  2 per day. (roosters only)  possession limit 4 witch means if you are on a weekend hunt by yourself and you,re keeping your birds in a cooler there better not be more than 4 . quail and grouse are listed the same. 4 per day  possession limit 8  pheasant are in very limited #s hers and are all stocked. one would bee very lucky to see a pheasant in the wild. same with quail. except the state has no stocking program for quail. so to find them in the wild you would need to bee on or near some field trial grounds.  sounds like WV has a lot of paperwork but sounds a lot clearer and easier   Maine  does have a pretty good website   search Maine department of inland fisheries and wildlife  that website is all the hunting and fishing rules  and info. from there you can link to enough regulations and laws to give a lawyer a headache :grin:

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 03:45:05 PM »

Funny, I thought Canada would be worse for rules. Maybe it is better not to ask  :grin:

Many rules you folk have , we do not !
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »