Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:00:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Dead Bobwhite Quail Ruffled Feathers Parasite??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dead Bobwhite Quail Ruffled Feathers Parasite??  (Read 4391 times)
pwl113

« on: February 25, 2008, 11:04:32 PM »

I have had two BW hens die in the last month and I am not sure why?  I want to make sure that it is not going to spread and would like to treat it ASAP.  In both cases the hen moved very little and had ruffled feathers.  I also noticed that the birds that died had a very little breast as compared to the others which lead me to believe it may be a parasite. 

So I did some research and found that an article that it could be Haemoproteus lophortyx, a parasitic disease in quail that includes reluctance to move, ruffled appearance, prostration, and death.  It says that this parasite is transferred from a biting midge.  These seem to be the signs of my birds that have died however I am not sure how to treat them.   

Does anyone know what kind of treatment for parasites that I can use to prevent this from happening to anymore? 
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 02:22:50 AM »

I would assume that an insecticide, like Permethrin, or Ivermectin might be helpful.

However, I doubt that is your problem.  You are looking at a rather rare occurrence.  Where are you located that you have swarms of Midge this time of year?

Ulcerative Enteritis, other Enteritii, Coccidia, or Histomoniasis are more likely, depending on your location, type of pen, type of ground, floor, or wire.

What medications are in their feed?  Added to water?  Has feed been dust dry? Have any droppings found their way into feed, or water?  Do you have other game birds, chickens, or turkey on the same property?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 10:15:58 AM »

This has happend to us last year and we lost almost half our flock. It turned out to be ulcerative enteritis. We ended up lying to the only placed we could be the bacatracin and we had to send in someone else to get it...told them our pigs had scours...that is the lables use for BMD anyway...cured them right up. Ruffled feathers and non existant breast meats was our clue for seperating the sick from the healthy. I am prepared this year from a post sent last year about Mererk and where the regular person can get antibiotics with off label uses in amounts that wont go bad (we had to get a 60 pound bag of bacatracin) anyway...going to medicate this year right off the bat also be better at keeping our germs out of the brood house and incubation area. Come to find out birds can contract the same diseases we have. anyhoo...hope this helps

lLori

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »