Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:00:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Help with old brooder - growout pen
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help with old brooder - growout pen  (Read 3872 times)
backyardquail

This place is going to the birds!

« on: October 11, 2010, 09:41:50 AM »

This weekend I acquired a brooder grow-pen (2 actually) that the lady said she bought in the mid 90's.  I "think" they are have a brand name of "Beacon".  I say think, because that is the name on the thermometers and on a piece of caging that I have no idea where it goes, so might not belong to the pens.  Anyway, they are battery type, sheet metal boxes and we purchased at Buchheit's, which I know because they still had the original price tags on them.

They went together fine, but I am concerned about the age of the heating units and was looking for replacement parts, but can not locate any information about these online.  Does anyone know anything about these brooders or the original manufacturer or where I could get replacement parts?

Second question, I have a couple dozen coturnix quail in these brooders but they don't seem to be able to find the food or water on the outside trays.  Any suggestions on helping them to find the feed and water?  The cage wire for the feeders goes horizontal, not vertical like my adult pens, would this be a problem for the quail in feeding or drinking?

Backyard Quail
"Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake." - Victor Hugo
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 10:11:30 AM »

The problem with outside the pen feeders is the quail being  able to reach the feed from inside the cage. They will not have any trouble finding it but may have problems  eating down to a certain level then not being able to reach it. Also make sure that they do not have to go over a strand of wire to get to the feed if they do clip it out of the way. It does not matter which way the wire runs as long as they can get thier head thru it with out any problem. I have seen 2 birds stick their heads thru the same hole and get stuck and die.If they are having trouble reaching the feed then you are going to have to keep the feed trays completely full all of the time or make some adjustments on it.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »