Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 02:56:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  SEXING CP QUAILS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SEXING CP QUAILS  (Read 1944 times)
rshaskinini

Personal Text

« on: September 03, 2009, 08:30:26 AM »

Hi everyone, can you tell me if there is a way of sexing 3-4 week old Chinese Painted Quails please? I was given a couple of silver CPQ and told they were hens, when in fact they were cocks.
Thanks
TENNESSERED

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 11:31:25 AM »

Hi Ron,
    When it comes to buttons for most colors at 4 weeks you should be able to tell cocks by the white bib that is forming around the the front, especially the throat.  Hens will not have this at all.  For solid colors like the blacks or whites you just have to wait a little longer till the cocks begin to crow.  Also, as you get more familiar with them you will be able to judge the cocks from hens by the body size and also their behavior in the pen.  Some, can tell by looking at the vent, but I haven't been very successful doing this myself.  Right now I have some 3 to 3 1/2 week old birds and the silvers are getting thier white bibs so I can tell which are going to be males  Female silvers will be solid silver down their fronts

good luck
james
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »