Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:10:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  starter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: starter  (Read 4262 times)
mobe_45
Expert Member

« on: August 03, 2008, 05:27:17 PM »

Last year I got  sportsmans choice gamebird starter. After reading all the posts here I changed to Purina brand this year.
Are there different sizes of purina gamebird starter? I got the starter but have to crush it for the first week or so or my birds die.
The crumbles are too big I think. The starter also has corn bits big enough that I am wondering if I need to give them grit before I do. I wait a week before giving them grit. In my mind it lets them know what is food and what is grit. Am I off? ???

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 07:26:12 AM »

I have used it for years just straight from the bag with no problems . Even the day olds eat the larger crumbles. I just took 200 tenn reds out of the hatcher yesterday and fed it to them and in no time not a crumble was left..I do not feed grit to young birds..only adults during winter when feeding whole grain..but I do not keep pet quail or maybe I would..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 05:02:32 PM »

I feed Purina to my bobs without grinding it
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 05:54:52 PM »

I feed Home Grown Starter made by Purina Mills and run it through a food processor for the first week and have good luck.  I think the only reason I continue this way is because if it aint broke, don't fix it.

I have a question for anyone who knows...  My first set I fed Nutrena starter that was non-medicated with 27% protein.  My second set I fed the Home Grown Medicated Starter that has 30% protein.  The second set of birds is the same size at three weeks old as the first set at 6.  Does that extra 3% make that much of a difference or just coincidence?

They were about the same price but I would feel comfortable releasing these birds in the wild now with the first set I waited until they were 8 weeks because they were so small.

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 02:17:37 AM »

I would not think that the 3% would make that much difference in the developement but the medicated part could have kept them cleaner from desiese and increased there developement...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »