Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:32:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  Game Bird Feed Differences
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game Bird Feed Differences  (Read 4692 times)
mark

« on: June 10, 2008, 01:36:54 PM »

I get my Game Bird Feed from a local feed store. I have noticed that the ingredient tag has the same ingredients and percentages for both the Starter and Finisher. The only difference I saw was the protein percentage. So, with that being the case whats the use in buying both if the contents are same, why not just stick with the Starter.

Mark 
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 01:40:07 PM »

The protein

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
mark

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:52:44 AM »

That is what I posted that the protein was the only difference, but I dont see any harm in just keeping them on Starter instead of switching them over to Finisher.

Mark
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 07:28:44 AM »

High protein at the wrong times can/will cause a host of problems.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 08:21:28 AM »

If you are going to raise your birds for pets and plan on keeping them for a long period of time, then I would say to put them on a finisher and follow the general rules for keeping pets. If you are raising birds for short term food consumption then i would not think that it would hurt anything to keep them on the starter. I do.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jbird
Expert Member

Gods Creatures are for everyone to enjoy

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:51:49 PM »

High protein at the wrong times can/will cause a host of problems.
I agree with that but could you elaborate on how much more or less protein is needed, and when it would benefit the birds the most.  ( sick, could weather, etc )
jbird
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 02:34:57 PM »

Could anyone help me  with the above post.  As I was serious about the question. There has been times I have added extra protein and times I maybe should have as I really don't know the correct way to administer the protein
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 03:07:22 PM »

Hatch Day -4weeks-------gamebird starter  28 to 31%
4 weeks - 16 weeks------finisher 22 to 24%
16 weeks-adult breeder age---maintenance 15%
1 month before breeding starts---gamebird breeder 20 to 22%
end of breeding season till next breeder season---maintenance 15%
The corturnix will be different ....because they start laying at 6 to 8 weeks so adjust accordingly.Or if you are going to breed them just go from starter to breeder...and some people just keep them on a real high protein because of the high egg production but you will have to add some calcium. That is as close as I can get.Alot of the exotic species will be different...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 05:07:19 PM by slider » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jbird
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 01:38:29 AM »

Thanks Slider, I really appreciate the reply.  The reason that I asked this question, is there are times I add extra protein to my gamebird feed and was wondering if it would have an ell affect on them. As I didn't state my first quote very clear.  Thanks again Slider
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »