Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:47:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  Californian Egg Pictures
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Californian Egg Pictures  (Read 18141 times)
bobhunter

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 10:28:05 PM »

I understand it Cali eggs should be paler than coturnix, a cream colour with freckles rather than splodges, they should also be pointer than coturnix eggs, a bit like a spinning top - is this correct?

I think that what you said about the description of California Valley eggs is somewhat correct. However,  California quail eggs may also have some moderate blotches in addition to spotting, but these markings are generally a lighter brown than in coturnix eggs (coturnix usually have bolder and darker markings like most of the eggs shown in your pictures). Also, many Cali eggs may be more spotted than blotched. In general, the Cali eggs are also somewhat more pointed at the small end as you mentioned. So, in my opinion, none of the eggs shown in your pictures can be definitely identified as California Valleys (based on the pictures and quality of the pictures presented). Of course, it is possible that the egg with few or no spots could be a Cali or it could be an atypical coturnix egg. When you have some Cali eggs next to some coturnix eggs for comparison, my experience is that you'll  know which are which! By the way, when comparing your pictures to others, be sure to pay attention to the color of the markings (e.g. light brown or tan blotches or spots as opposed to bold and rich brown ones) and whether the markings you see are of a "moderate" nature or something else. The eggs in the picture at the game farm in California look like California Quail eggs as indicated, and, of course, you'll find some variation in the markings of California quail eggs, with some having quite a bit of blotching and others being more spotted overall.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 11:27:14 PM by bobhunter » Logged
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 10:57:19 PM »

Didn`t know I was dealing with a girl...guess I need to check from now own...there so sensitive...and I am to old to care... s020

I didn't either until this morning.  I don't think gender changes anything (well, nothing pertinent to this thread).

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 11:41:11 PM »

Went out and checked for eggs from my Valley hens. No eggs yet, several nests though...
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 12:12:35 AM »

This is the picture I sent to her.  I was unable to post it, here, at the time.  These have an appearance between that of hers, and of Teresa's.  Did she ever say if the supplier was from the states, UK, or Europe?

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2008, 12:20:48 AM »

Looks darn close to me...although I've never seen Co-turn-oh eggs before.

opps ! got it wrong...always thought it was pronounced as above. It's : Co-tur-nix

Bloody English ! I'm a great deal more proficient in profane
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 12:28:02 AM by Reeves » Logged
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2008, 09:58:42 AM »

Ok...I kinda just skimmed over the posts.

Suz, I think you know your eggs pretty well. Those do not look like valley quail eggs to me. If they were, then you wouldnt have any confusion differentiating between the two. Ofcourse, im assuming the colors in the pictures are true or close. Valley eggs should be a lighter shade and majority do not have big blotches like the coturnix. Valleys are pointier then coturnix's eggs on the small end.

And judging by your second set of pictures....my final answer would be that they are definately not Valley eggs. Valley eggs are smaller than Bobwhite eggs. :wink:

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=2396.0
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 10:19:51 AM by aKirA » Logged
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 11:05:30 AM »

You're welcome to use it. :wink:
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 11:13:41 AM »

Just put a door matt at the end of that ramp where they enter to lay their eggs. j41 j45 j44 s020 you have a good one SUZ.....Buy the way if I could send you some of my California Valley eggs  I would send you them for FREE...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 11:28:11 AM by slider » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 12:11:57 PM »

Can food gifts.......like cookies, bread, cheese, boiled eggs ( :wink:) be shipped overseas?

I know it may sound weird, but I've heard of eggs being boiled and for some odd reason some of them didn't get boiled.      ^-^

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jbird
Expert Member

Gods Creatures are for everyone to enjoy

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 02:38:34 PM »

CharlieHorse,   i4  (for some odd reason some of them didn't get boiled)   I like the way you think.  It almost makes me wonder if you ever worked for some undercover group of some sorts in your life.   just kidding but not a bad idea.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 07:15:15 PM »

CharlieHorse,   i4  It almost makes me wonder if you ever worked for some undercover group of some sorts in your life.   

sssssshhhhhh..... he infiltrated the Amish KKK back in the 80s  (they were smuggling quilts back to Prussia) c49

jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 09:45:39 PM »

suz--Your pens are very nice!! I am planning to build a pen to raise some Bobs in soon and always looking for ideas, as everyone on here probably know by now!! Good luck with the egg situation!!!  s15
greyghost
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2008, 09:51:12 PM »

Suz, please send a pic of your set-up. I am still learning, at 50. Please do. Dave.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2008, 11:12:21 PM »

makes me wonder if you ever worked for some undercover group of some sorts

:-|   Yes I have, and still do............civil servant (government employee).   ^-^

s020   s020   s020   s020   s020

I'm with the Gamebird Owner Location Force  (GOLF).  I hang out on forums like this one, finding those without the proper paperwork, permits, sanitation practices, etc., etc. You know?....that kind of stuff.  And then turn their whereabouts over to the authorities for processing. I get $4000 a conviction, but only if it's over 17.5 birds per bust. Anyone in the States gets 35 years for each egg over 5 eggs.  It's a tough job, but hey.......somebody has to do it.   ^-^
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 11:21:11 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 12:41:48 AM »

And to think, I almost pulled my boots off, before I sat down at the computer, tonight.  Now that was a close call.  Joe, fetch the shovel!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »