Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:51:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  Feeding game bird chicks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feeding game bird chicks  (Read 6174 times)
greyghost
« on: February 01, 2008, 10:59:29 PM »

Do game bird chicks need grit like Chickens? Also. do turkey poults need a higher % protien?
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 08:16:40 AM »

Yes and yes.

all game bird chicks need at least a 30% protein starter, some will die on a lower percentage, as grouse. Others just wont start off as they should.  Fairly soon most also need a dusting area, a sand box or some such to dust themselves in . This is covered in most basic books.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 02:42:11 PM »

not true jake.we feed our chicks 28% protein they don't need atleast 30% some places sell 26% and even 24% gamebird starter. and you should also say that you should also have a medicated starter feed.  we feed different meds in feed for  pheasant and quail.but they both are on 28% protein.

Lenny
  Sugar Run Gamebirds

Tennessee red,Mexican speckled, and bobwhite quail,chukar,ringneck pheasants

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 10:09:15 AM »

Hi Lenny

We'll have to agree to disagree then, I said they all need it, and some will die, like Ruffed Grouse without it, but for sure many will survive on lower, that doesnt mean that they will grow optimally. Of course I amnot growing for sale but local use. So I'll spend more.

Past the first two weeks I feed 28%, but those first two weeks are crucial, they need all the start they can get,

I feed medicated only for the first 2 weeks also,or until its gone.  I do use something for coccidiosis in the water for the first month, along with  necessary salts.

Try a hatch starting on 30% and see if you dont see better growth with fewer losses. Buying it by the ton there is a big difference between 28% and 30%. No question about it.

At 8 weeks the 24% I think is pretty much standard.   Remember he was asking specifially about Turkey poults, and generically on 'gamebirds'.  I answered that all gamebirds are better growing starting on 30%. Some will die without it.  I stand by that.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
DoubleL911
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 07:42:14 AM »

Along with feeding Purina medicated turkey starter (ground to fines). Is it helpfull to feed hard boiled egg yolks. Referring to game bird chicks.
Larry Lain
www.doublelquailfarms.com
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 01:03:58 PM »

Absolutely! 

All game birds and chickens(descendants of a wild pheasant) love hard boiled egg yolks.

Back to my first post on this thread, I was reading on pheasants last eve, and Leland Hayes says in his book on upland game birds to start Pheasants on 30% starter, Quail on 28%, my book on Ruffed Grouse says NYS DNR failed to raise any for several years until they put chicks on a high protein starter.

I do know from experience that Turkeys do horrible on low % starters, they need all you can get into them. I've grown wild easterns, bourbon red and royal palm turkeys  and they all needed the max starter.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

Thomas Jefferson
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 09:07:08 AM »

Do game bird chicks need grit like Chickens? Also. do turkey poults need a higher % protien?

Like Jake said, yes and yes. It is a good idea to always provide a grit for all chicks you raise. I always provide the #1 granite size for Quail at all ages. For Pheasants , about the time they feather out I mix the #1 with #2 size.
All my "grit boxes" have a 1/4" minus gravel, and the two sizes of grit. This way they can pick the size and shape they want & require.

As for Turkeys, you want to provide them with the feed made for them. It is not just the protien they need. Turkey feed is formulated for them. They have higher requirements for calcium as well.
Talk to your local feed store. They [should] know all about it.
bobhunter

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 12:36:02 PM »

28-30% is okay and you can use a good quality turkey starter if feed specific for game birds is not available in your area.
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 11:49:09 AM »

Thanks Reeves and Bobhunter, remedial feeding for me, I should have mentioned both of those, thats whats good about this forum.

Not having grit available is asking for slow growth with gamebirds and turkeys. I have used Turkey starter the past two years, including on Old English Games and they do great on it.  My dealer might start stocking Mazuri if he gets enough other interest in it, ifnot I'll adapt my own with Turkey Starter as a base. 

Right now I am looking at either a fish meal or other similar to add to the Turkey Starter. Wont take much, but sure makes a difference. 

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »