Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:12:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  predator-traps going out tonight (caught it)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: predator-traps going out tonight (caught it)  (Read 21051 times)
pamike
Expert Member

« on: June 23, 2006, 12:03:49 PM »

I went to feed and water my quail this morning and found feathers on the wire, inside the pen and all over the ground in a 4' area. There was also a wing laying on the ground. It was pulled through 1" chicken wire. This spot where it got the quail is 3' above ground. It also tried getting in my chicken run, thank god the chickens were locked up in thier coop. it did get thier feeder open, it was next to the chicken wire. I am thinking it was a coon. If you think it was something different let me know.

I am setting up 1 bodygripper baited with chicken liver and at least 4 footholds set near the pen and chicken run.

mike
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 12:06:03 PM by pamike » Logged
cjstuchlik
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 12:43:02 PM »

I had the same thing happen to me last fall. It was also up about three feet or so because I put hail screening below the chicken wire to prevent that from happening, but obviously it didn't stop them.

it turned out to be a opossum (he won't be bothering any more birds)

ks_frm_boy
kat
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 02:46:36 PM »

Are you saying you think a coon stuck his arm in and tried to pull a quail out through 1'' wire? Is it common? Why wouldn't the quail move away from the sides? Or how did the quail get 3 feet off the ground for the coon to grab? Can you explain how a Raccoon might get them? I am asking because we are going to try to put up an outdoor cage this weekend. I want to be sure Rocky Raccoon and friends aren't able to mess with the bobwhite. We are studying the 'Build-It-Yourhusband' pages now.
Thanks for all the help,
kat
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 05:12:13 PM »

Kat,
Any predator with paws can climb, stick their arms through the wire and if at night, quails wont be able to see. During the day, quails are easily frightened and fly around wildly. Easily caught with claws and paws.

Mike, perhaps go with 1/2" wire mesh. I had the same thing happend in the past here in the suburbs/city. Cats used to grab my button quails through the 1" chicken wire.
Royal Flush Game Birds

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 05:35:49 PM »

Had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago.I lost a total of 23 birds(Jumbo Wisconson Bobs Breeders) 1st night they killed them from the botton of the cages 1/2x1 wire pulled the legs off and they bled to death.

The next night nothing but I noticed the lid to my feed bucket was off.. thought maybe my son left it off.I put it back on..next night same thing. 3rd nite(slow learner) its off again. 4th night I introduce Mr.Coon to a 22mag between the eyes while in  leg hold trap.I buried the trap in the can and when he jumped in he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.Thats not the end. Over the next 5 nites I caught 3 More. 4 coons ... must be illegal immigrants! :laugh:
Im glad they didnt get my Butlers,Blue cales,Valleys or Gambels. Wish you the best!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 06:03:33 PM by Royal Flush Game Birds » Logged

WWW.ROYALFLUSHGAMEBIRDS.COM
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 12:05:28 PM »

I went up to feed and water the quail this morning and one of my footholds was gone. I put them on drags. I looked around and saw some high brush moving, after a closer look she stood up and looked right at me. It was a big female coon. I went and got a piece of 2"x2" about 2' long and clubbed her in the head and thats all she wrote. Too bad I didn't get her before she got another one of my birds, there was one up against the cage with no head, legs, and most of the feathers were gone, all that was left was the breast. The coon has been nursing pups recently too, I will have to catch those little things too. At least I caught the big one for now.

mike
14Yoquailfarmer
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 12:38:16 PM »

Hay mike im glad you got the bandit good luck
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 04:34:04 PM »

Take it for what it is worth! No flames intended.

Ya know, It never ceases to a maze me. All you out there with predator problems, being either skunk, raccoon, rats, opossum, snakes and what have you.

Now take pamike for instance,
“ Quote : predator-traps going out tonight  (caught it) on: June 23, 2006, 09:03”49 AM.

I went to feed and water my quail this morning and found feathers on the wire, inside the pen and all over the ground in a 4' area. There was also a wing laying on the ground. It was pulled through 1" chicken wire. This spot where it got the quail is 3' above ground. It also tried getting in my chicken run, thank god the chickens were locked up in thier coop. it did get thier feeder open, it was next to the chicken wire. I am thinking it was a coon. If you think it was something different let me know.

I am setting up 1 bodygripper baited with chicken liver and at least 4 footholds set near the pen and chicken run.

mike

And quoted by:
Had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago.I lost a total of 23 birds(Jumbo Wisconson Bobs Breeders) 1st night they killed them from the botton of the cages 1/2x1 wire pulled the legs off and they bled to death.

The next night nothing but I noticed the lid to my feed bucket was off.. thought maybe my son left it off.I put it back on..next night same thing. 3rd nite(slow learner) its off again. 4th night I introduce Mr.Coon to a 22mag between the eyes while in  leg hold trap.I buried the trap in the can and when he jumped in he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.Thats not the end. Over the next 5 nites I caught 3 More. 4 coons ... must be illegal immigrants! :laugh:
Im glad they didnt get my Butlers,Blue cales,Valleys or Gambels. Wish you the best!

Ya know, you might get away with killing rats and snakes and possibly a few neighborhood cats but, I doubt very seriously if you can kill / dispatch or remove, dead or alive a raccoon / skunk or opossum with out the legal permits to do so.

Now unless the state's have an open season for the listed local predators and you are legally permitted to do so, which you should state this, or state the fact that you have the proper permits to do so.

If it is not, you should either seek the proper predation permits, or not mention anything as you listed below.

I went up to feed and water the quail this morning and one of my footholds was gone. I put them on drags. I looked around and saw some high brush moving, after a closer look she stood up and looked right at me. It was a big female coon. I went and got a piece of 2"x2" about 2' long and clubbed her in the head and thats all she wrote. Too bad I didn't get her before she got another one of my birds, there was one up against the cage with no head, legs, and most of the feathers were gone, all that was left was the breast. The coon has been nursing pups recently too, I will have to catch those little things too. At least I caught the big one for now.

mike

Here you have: 14Yoquailfarmer,

Here, he/she is congratulating you on your quest to exterminate the now known predator, while he shuns the people who have hawk problems.

I am all for the removal of the predator problems as long as it is done in a  legal manner.

To all those out there, watch what you type and make sure your posts don’t convey the fact or inclination that you are killing any wild life out of season or with out the proper paperwork.

Topic started by:Pheasant Hollow Farm
Topic pertaining to Hawks and Owls http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=1861.0

Seems that some one had a bug up their arse, and contacted the WV DNR about my post/topic and all replies. Since the WV DNR knew about my situation of the hawk problem, it was a friendly phone call asking me about it.

Make sure you have the proper paperwork(permits) to remove and relocate live wild life, and the proper paperwork on the dispatching of the same wild life.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 05:15:27 PM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 05:15:17 PM »

Take it for what it is worth! No flames intended.

Ya know, It never ceases to a maze me. All you out there with predator problems, being either skunk, raccoon, rats, opossum, snakes and what have you.

Now take pamike for instance,
“ Quote : predator-traps going out tonight  (caught it) on: June 23, 2006, 09:03”49 AM.

mike

Ya know, you might get away with killing rats and snakes and possibly a few neighborhood cats but, I doubt very seriously if you can kill / dispatch or remove, dead or alive a raccoon / skunk or opossum with out the legal permits to do so.

Now unless the state of PA has an open season for the listed local predators and you are legally permitted to do so, which you should state this, or state the fact that you have the proper permits to do so.

If it is not, you should either seek the proper predation permits, or not mention anything as you listed below.

mike

Here you have: 14Yoquailfarmer,

Here, he/she is congratulating you on your quest to exterminate the now known predator, while he shuns the people who have hawk problems.

I am all for the removal of the predator problems as long as it is done in a  legal manner.

To all those out there, watch what you type and make sure your posts don’t convey the fact or inclination that you are killing any wild life out of season or with out the proper paperwork.

Topic started by:Pheasant Hollow Farm
Topic pertaining to Hawks and Owls http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=1861.0

Seems that some one had a bug up their arse, and contacted the WV DNR about my post/topic and all replies. Since the WV DNR knew about my situation of the hawk problem, it was a friendly phone call asking me about it.

Make sure you have the proper paperwork(permits) to remove and relocate live wild life, and the proper paperwork on the dispatching of the same wild life.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

I was fully within my LEGAL rights. I was protecting my property on my property. If you were to contact the PA game commission and tell them you have a raccoon or evan a skunk or possum etc. in a trap that you caught, they would tell you it is your problem and to dispose of it properly. In PA it is illegal to release a skunk, oppossum or raccoon because they are carriers of rabies. I have been a trapper for the last 24 years and I know the laws pertaing to trapping, having help get a few passed myself.

Here my "no flames intended", sounds like we got ourselves a bunny hugger, how would you like it if a raccoon was killing your birds? would you just sit back and hope it does not happen again? or would you do something about it?

mike
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 05:26:37 PM »

I was fully within my LEGAL rights. I was protecting my property on my property. If you were to contact the PA game commission and tell them you have a raccoon or evan a skunk or possum etc. in a trap that you caught, they would tell you it is your problem and to dispose of it properly. In PA it is illegal to release a skunk, oppossum or raccoon because they are carriers of rabies. I have been a trapper for the last 24 years and I know the laws pertaing to trapping, having help get a few passed myself.

Here my "no flames intended", sounds like we got ourselves a bunny hugger, how would you like it if a raccoon was killing your birds? would you just sit back and hope it does not happen again? or would you do something about it?

mike

Hey Mike,

What are you some kind of smart arse? All I stated was to post that you are doing it legally. If I have  bear/deer/fox/racoon/skunk/or what ever else as a predator problem, I have the right to remove also, as long as I have the proper permits and documentations.

Do you get now? State in your post that it is legal for you to remove predators' on your property.

As far as a bunny hugger, far from it pal.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 05:30:38 PM »

Well thats good I hate bunny huggers, I hate PETA and The Humaine Society and any other group against hunting, trapping, fishing, meat etc. Also I didn't realize that there were states that you needed a permit to remove a predator from your own property.

mike
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 05:35:31 PM »

Well thats good I hate bunny huggers, I hate PETA and The Humaine Society and any other group against hunting, trapping, fishing, meat etc. Also I didn't realize that there were states that you needed a permit to remove a predator from your own property.

mike

Did you read what I stated about the hawks in the post above?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow farm

aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 05:36:17 PM »

Is coon skin cap in fashion?
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 05:37:22 PM »

I believe so, too bad the fur is not prime and won't tan well.

mike
14Yoquailfarmer
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 05:38:40 PM »

hay how about leaving me alone PH cause sounds like you have a problem with your man hood so you mess with kids over the internet how about shuting up  :laugh:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »