Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:20:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  surrogator
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: surrogator  (Read 80600 times)
Oakthebirddog

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008, 05:01:09 PM »

Check  out the guys at crazyflyingwfarms.com they have experience with building a surrogator.
gmills7177

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2009, 02:43:11 AM »

I am also going to build a surrogator only I am hoping to raise pheasants. I was hoping someone had a suggestion on dimensions in relation to the number of birds and the temp for each week.
bbahpc

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 09:06:40 PM »

I purchased most of the necessary items to build a surrogator.  As far as the heater, the actual heater, thermostat and the such is a unit out of a trojan livestock tank heater.  If you were to buy directly from the manufacturers of Surrogators, they would cost over $700, I believe.  The web site for the Trojan heaters is  www.trojanlivestock.com .  You will need to call them directly and just order the heating unit which comes complete with heater, thermostat and you will need to buy a hose to connect to propane tank and a regulator.  I believe that the heating unit cost around $215.  These heaters have a pilot thus not requiring any electrical supply for lighting the heater. 
As far as the material for the sides, top and bottom, I selected the 1/4" white poly board from our local ag supply store.  My family has several of the surrogators that we have been using for a couple years and are very happy with the results however, I am getting tired of paying them $2500 or so for something that I can build for $500.  I did get on the surrogator site and bought the porcelin cap that goes on top of the heater and their nipple waterer for about $60 total plus shipping.

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 10:20:01 PM »

s98

That appears to be nothing more than a hot water heater gas control valve with a remote capillary tube rather than the probe that normally would screw back into the hot water tank to sense the water temperature.  I wonder if a fella could use a regular hot water tank gas control valve?

The open flame pilot light could cause some issues.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 08:08:46 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
camsdad

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2009, 06:56:16 PM »

I purchased most of the necessary items to build a surrogator.  As far as the heater, the actual heater, thermostat and the such is a unit out of a trojan livestock tank heater.  If you were to buy directly from the manufacturers of Surrogators, they would cost over $700, I believe.  The web site for the Trojan heaters is  www.trojanlivestock.com .  You will need to call them directly and just order the heating unit which comes complete with heater, thermostat and you will need to buy a hose to connect to propane tank and a regulator.  I believe that the heating unit cost around $215.  These heaters have a pilot thus not requiring any electrical supply for lighting the heater. 
As far as the material for the sides, top and bottom, I selected the 1/4" white poly board from our local ag supply store.  My family has several of the surrogators that we have been using for a couple years and are very happy with the results however, I am getting tired of paying them $2500 or so for something that I can build for $500.  I did get on the surrogator site and bought the porcelin cap that goes on top of the heater and their nipple waterer for about $60 total plus shipping.

s144
Just wondering if you have put together a set of plans yet?
I'm looking to build a surrogator myself.
Thanks
jchotz

Personal Text

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 12:51:29 PM »

Come follow along as I learn how to use my surrogator to raise wild quail - http://www.raisingwildquail.com.  I'm happy to share what I'm learning.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 05:36:03 PM »

Thats a great thread...thanks for sharing it with us...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Slayton

Personal Text

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2010, 11:28:01 AM »

Jchotz,

What type of heater do you have on that? And do you have a link to where you got it? I am looking for something that is gas driven that I can use on a 200  or so   raised quail brooder.  Any help is appreciateed. New to this so trying to figure it out on my own..

Slayton
jchotz

Personal Text

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2011, 12:22:49 PM »

Slayton,

I have the heater that came with the WMT unit.  It's a propane unit - this is their store - http://wildlifemanagementtechnologies.com/Store/Category/9:Heaters.

Based on everything I see and read a "how to" video might be helpful.  I'm in the process of recording everything this season on video and I'm going to stitch it together this winter.

I have a brief, three question survey that will help me make sure that I cover everything that folks want to know - http://raisingwildquail.com/surrogator-survey/

If you'll take the time to tell me what you want to learn more about, I'll make sure to send you a free copy when I complete it this Winter.

Thanks!

- Jeff
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 02:58:27 PM »

Nothing like being a day late and a dollar short..... It has been just about a year that Slayton had ask the question;

Jchotz,

What type of heater do you have on that? And do you have a link to where you got it? I am looking for something that is gas driven that I can use on a 200  or so   raised quail brooder.  Any help is appreciateed. New to this so trying to figure it out on my own..

Slayton

and your reply 8.31.2011:

Slayton,

I have the heater that came with the WMT unit.  It's a propane unit - this is their store - http://wildlifemanagementtechnologies.com/Store/Category/9:Heaters.

Based on everything I see and read a "how to" video might be helpful.  I'm in the process of recording everything this season on video and I'm going to stitch it together this winter.

I have a brief, three question survey that will help me make sure that I cover everything that folks want to know - http://raisingwildquail.com/surrogator-survey/

If you'll take the time to tell me what you want to learn more about, I'll make sure to send you a free copy when I complete it this Winter.

Thanks!

- Jeff

Slayton is from Christoval Texas and you, are from Austin, TX
You'd be better off getting together then waiting almost a year to send a reply to the post.

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
JesseWynne

Personal Text

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2014, 04:20:28 AM »

I built 2. One with the paropane heater mentioned above. I went to a plumbing outfit and took the guts out of an propane water heater. Remove the burner and place the Mr. Heater on top. I used the pilot and thermocouple  to contol the burner. I used a GQF thermometer to set my temperature by. The cost of propane made me go to plan B.

Deep cycle battery.
15 amp Solar panel from Norther tools.
Thermostat from GQF.
200 watt inverter.
2 x100 watt lamps. or GQF 200 watt heating element.
PVC and nipple waterers.
55 gallon drom with facet to supply water.
55 gallon drum with 3 inch feeder tube to supply feed.
The deep cycle and one solar panel works well in TX. You may need 2 panels in colder weather.
Nice informative post. I have been searching for similar sort of system and finally got the detailed stuff..
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »