Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:02:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  help with feed mixtures
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: help with feed mixtures  (Read 3704 times)
ROOSTER131

Personal Text

« on: September 03, 2010, 12:23:05 AM »

i was wanting to know if any larger breeders out there had a mixture that they would share with me. I got a mill close by that can mix up about anything I want but I need a good recipe for my quail feed. Mostly what I need is a good mix that will work well for the growers and layers. I can buy the gamebird starter 30% for the chicks, just looking for a more economical way to feed the others. right now Im feeding a 18% layer crumble which cost around $8 for a 40 lb bag. any ideas appreciated....thanks
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:47:01 AM »

i was wanting to know if any larger breeders out there had a mixture that they would share with me. I got a mill close by that can mix up about anything I want but I need a good recipe for my quail feed. Mostly what I need is a good mix that will work well for the growers and layers. I can buy the gamebird starter 30% for the chicks, just looking for a more economical way to feed the others. right now Im feeding a 18% layer crumble which cost around $8 for a 40 lb bag. any ideas appreciated....thanks

If you have your birds on a wire, you would be better staying with the feed you have now. Ask your supplier to cut you a better price if you order by the ton. Or if you are insistant about a feed mix, take the content label of the bag and have your supplier mix the same ration but with raw seeds, and make sure all the essential vitamins and minerals are mixed in with the feed.

Just remember that you will have to supply an ample amount of grit if you go and have you own combination of raw seed mix made up.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Taproot

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 02:38:36 PM »

This is an excellent link. I've got my own modified recipes now and have it ground by the ton for almost 1/3 of the cost of retail.  c50

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2383.htm
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »