Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:45:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Tick season is once again upon us.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tick season is once again upon us.  (Read 9674 times)
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 02:41:54 PM »

I can only think of three reasons Frontline would be less effective than it was.  Maybe you have heard which, or if there is another, since you are around many more dogs, owners, and Vets.

1. If the manufacturer has diluted the doses.  This happens with some products.

2. If the product was too weak from the start, allowing ticks to survive, and build a tollerence.  Or not sufficient for the full treatment period claimed.

3. User complience letting the concentration of the chemical dwindle, so ticks could survive, building tollerence.

I never did like the products that work by allowing the tick to bite a dog, suck some blood, get sick, fall off and die.  They claim it takes something like 24-48 hours before diseases are transfered.  But what if "they" got that wrong?  What if some tough sucker hangs on for 60 or 72 hours?

I don't want to take that chance with a $5,000 field trial dog, or even a $500 puppy, even if I didn't get attatched to the stinkin' things!

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 02:46:05 PM »

Gee, at least you could have made it a hot link s176  Now I have to copy and paste.

Here I will do it for you. http://chiefsbrittanys.com/2008/04/15/i-was-a-promeris-user-for-one-month/#more-137

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
[/quote]

Well, hell I thought they just automatically worked.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 07:53:39 PM »

I see your concern with the promeris, and yes it does have an odor... The amitraz itself is a smelly chemical. They have actually done a lot to make it smell as good as it does! Beleive it or not... At any rate, There is always a chance of side effects no matter what you apply or give to your animal. Or yourself for that matter... As far as the ticks and fleas having to bite your pet before dying-not the case. They do have to have contact, but not bite. The product is distributed through the hair follicles and onto the hair shaft itself. This usually deters the pest from getting any farther and it will soon die... As far as I know there aren't any topicals that actually repel the darn things yet. Advantix is supposed to repel mosquitos but I don't think it does fleas or ticks. As with any product, if you do experience and ill side effects, definitely let your vet know and contact the manufacturer. They will usually pay for any treatment that needs done in result and refund your money. Not that that makes your dog any better... I'll quit.. This is getting long....
GSP4

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 12:47:44 PM »

My Vet is tring it on his dogs before he will sell it. after reading wilders link and doing another seach on Promeris heres what we found  http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/promeris.asp we desided it's not worth the risk. 
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 09:50:35 PM »

Well, I would like to say as a "professional", if you can call me that, that if you look around, I'm sure you will find reactions very similar to this with just about any topical drug for parasites... With that said, if there is a problem with Promeris, well, I'm sure it won't last long on our shelves. Sounds to me like a lot of these critters are getting a taste of the stuff and salivating profusely and eventually vomiting and stuff. I don't know about the neurologic part of it. I'm not "that" professional!! LOL! At any rate, get something on them to prevent the ticks and fleas. And heartworm prevention. Saw a heartworm positive dog today, sad since it's so easily prevented.  I'll be sure to let you kow if we here anything from our reps on any of the products!!
GSP4

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 09:13:04 AM »

Thank you Jaime, the Front Line has been doing a good job for us so far this year, only found 1 tick after training and I made sure it never made it to skin.
Had our 2 boy to the Vet for thier yearly check up and shots had them tested for heartworm and the 3 types of lyme, happy to say tests were negative. our 2 girls go in 3 weeks. I know they will test neg. as well they have never had a tick on them.
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 09:50:28 PM »

Glad to hear that you all take care of your pups!! See so many guys come into the clinic that could really care less. It's just a huntin' dog..... Won't be for long if it dies of heartworms or some other disease that you should have been preventing!!! Hope the times are changing and folks take care of their pets like they deserve to be. I know Robert (my husband) has learned the importance of all this since he now has Otis. Gotta protect your invesmtent!!!
GSP4

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 01:19:58 AM »

Jaime they are a part of the family,  most people we know are the same way. yes it is sad to see how some people treat their dogs, they don't know what they are missing   s20
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 11:42:01 AM »

Glad to hear it. I agree!!! p42
GSP4

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 11:02:19 AM »

I had our 2 girls To the Vet for their yearly checkup and shots I'm happy to report there Lyme and heart worm tests came back negative.
while there, the Vet gave me an update on how his dogs were doing on Promeris, said he hasn't found 1 tick yet and has had no side affects. but he is not selling it till he he tries it a while longer and does a test group.
He also told me that they are seeing at least 5 dogs a week test positive for Lyme and some of them were on Front Line. ??? He told me they are  finding new tick related diseases this year.  so what ever you use check your dogs over good!   a flea comb will help you find a deer tick you may not have felt or seen.
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 03:48:39 PM »

Glad your "kids" are healthy!! I was discussing this whole thing with one of our drug reps, who sells neither frontline or promeris, and he said that there have been people blogging and stuff online bashing Promeris and come to find out they worked for Merial, the company that manufactures frontline!! Thought this was interesting. They are apparently getting paid to make the competitors product look bad! I'm sure this isn't the only product this is been done with... Sometimes those companies will do anything!!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »