Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Quail eggs are hatching!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quail eggs are hatching!!  (Read 6316 times)
ncffp163
« on: June 16, 2006, 12:16:01 AM »

Hi ya'll

My bobwhite eggs (101 eggs...the expensive ones...lol) started hatching Tues night/Weds. morning. As of tonight, I've got 28 in the brooder and 7 in the hatcher. Had to cull 4 so far. I'll check them again in the morning before going to work. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Eric
ncffp163
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 10:23:55 AM »

As of this morning, I've got 34 chicks. No more hatched out. Several were deformed (didn't count those). Some of the eggs had pipped, but thats all that happened to those. After checking some of the eggs that didn't hatch, it appears that I didn't have the humidity high enough in the hatcher (wet bulb temp about 90 deg. F). I've got 1 chick with its left toes curled, but seems to walking just fine. So, I'll know next time to raise the humidity higher in the hatcher. Thanks so much everyone for all the help and advice. I truly appreciate it.

Eric
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 10:25:49 AM by ncffp163 » Logged
chickmatt
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 01:19:38 PM »

are you in Nc ? if so where are you ?  I am awating some quail eggs myself. and i was wondering how do you raise the humidity in these incubators? because i have filled both the bottom troughs and put a small cup of water in my incubator and it still says 88-90 degrees.
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 01:30:19 PM »

but some of those cell-o brand type sponges and cut nt 2"x2" and get them wet in a cup or something similar. Add sponges a few at a time and see where that gets you, if you need more, add more. If humidity gets too high, Take some out. I did an entire hatch with sponges and no water in the bottom because the bator would not hold the water.

mike
chickmatt
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 01:33:40 PM »

what is a cello type sponge? is it like the one used to clean dishes? and do i still use the wet bulb thermometer with it? what should i look 4?
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 01:39:50 PM »

You can use the kitchen type sponges, just don't get the ones with the scrubbing pad on them.  You want the water to wick and give you a lot of surface area for evaporation.  Good luck.
chickmatt
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 03:53:48 PM »

has any one ever thought abot sitting their incubator inside a cabnet? they say that is aa goot location because there are no drafts, and very little change in temperature.
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 04:38:08 PM »

That is in essence what I do in the winter.  My set up is in the garage and in the winter with the door opening and closing (Momma keeps her car in there) and outside temperatures down to -30 degrees F, I took the shelf I use and insulated it front, back and sides.  I had good hatches all winter out of a hovabator and 2 little giants.
ncffp163
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 07:29:13 PM »

Chickmatt,

I'm near Burlington. Where are you? As far as the humidity, have you closed off any of your vents on your "bator? That and adding sponges to the humidity tray is what I did.

Eric
chickmatt
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 08:02:29 PM »

im in laurinburg or about 40 miles away from fayettvill i dont have vents i have a little giant incubator.
ncffp163
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 11:41:20 PM »

I've got a Little Giant also. I left the red plug out of the "back" (behind the temp control) hole. And on the other hole (at the fan) I left it slightly opened. By doing this, I got the wet bulb temp up to about 94-95 deg.

Eric
chickmatt
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 11:52:53 AM »

the first time i used my fan i left the plug out by the fan. and i didnt have a wet bulb thermometer in it and most of my chicks dried in their shells. did you make your wet bulb or bought iT?
ncffp163
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 05:38:55 PM »

Matt,

I bought 2 GQF dial type thermometers from Cutler's. They come with a wick to make them wet bulb. I had 1 wet and 1 dry. They also have a chart to convert to humidity values that comes with them. With my Little Giant, I left the plug out of the hole AWAY from the fan and had the other hole all but covered up with a plug that was upside down, not in the hole.

Eric
chickmatt
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 05:53:39 PM »

what did yours read? i added a wet sponge to my bator and it seemed to make the temp go up. near what big city are you near? and do you have any large quail to get eggsd from?
ncffp163
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 10:23:58 PM »

Matt,

My wet bulb was at 94-95* and dry bulb was at 99-100*. I live between Burlington and Chapel Hill. No big birds yets...my chicks are about a week old now.

Eric
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »