Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 03:02:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  incubator problems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: incubator problems  (Read 6501 times)
chevyluvver

« on: March 05, 2008, 07:29:58 PM »

I have button quail due to hatch in 4 days and my incubator will not stay warm enough for some reason.  Since this morning, the temp has been just above 90.  I have a Browyer incubator.  Any suggestions?  Do you think my eggs are still ok? 
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 08:38:12 PM »

Hello and welcome chevy, I'm not sure which brower incubator you got if its the round metal ones or not. If so you can adjust the "L" shaped screw by loosening the wingnut a little bit. I'm not sure on the newer round ones but either way they should be ok they may just take a few days more to hatch if this has been going on for some time or if it just did it this am. If it just did this am.  they'll be ok. I've been told by several that it'll make hatching easier if temp. is lowered a few degrees but I hope the best for you and your eggs. This is the best place to just read every single question old and new ones. Thanks, and GOD BLESS, Tommy
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 09:07:55 PM »

Yea Im not familiar with that incubator. Like TL says, look for the temp adjuster if any.

Also, make sure there are no drafts in the room. In the past when I was using a homemade incubator, I also covered incubator with towels to help bring up the heat.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 03:58:40 AM »

Yea Im not familiar with that incubator. Like TL says, look for the temp adjuster if any.

Also, make sure there are no drafts in the room. In the past when I was using a homemade incubator, I also covered incubator with towels to help bring up the heat.

As aKirA just mentioned, (if this is the type of incubator you have) drafts will be a major problem. Quick fix? do as aKirA has suggested.

BROWER'S TOP HATCH INCUBATOR

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 09:02:27 AM »

Temp. wise they should still hatch, may take a day or two longer. At this point it is the Humidity that is the biggest factor, but it will definitely help to wrap the Brower, with a blanket or old sleeping bag.

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 11:16:12 AM »

A small bathroom is easy to keep warm, and humid, (if the kids will keep the door closed). 

A closet may help.

Or, maybe turn a plastic, or foam ice chest upside down over the incubator.  Use a thermometer with a remote probe, so you won't have to remove the cover to often.  The warmer, and damper the room, the less loss you will have the few times you must remove it.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
chevyluvver

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 02:30:47 PM »

Thank you for your help.  I already have been keeping the incubator wrapped in a blanket.  I was goofing around with the temp gauge and I think I may have gotton it to work now.  But the eggs have been at 90-95 degrees for about 24 hours.  I do notice the incubator (broyer top hatch) is sensitive to room temps.  But that shouldn't be a problem in my house or where I have it.  Thanks again! 
komer

gamebird breeder wannabe

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 04:05:29 PM »

what kind od thermostat do you have and which heating element does incubator have(W)?
thanks
chevyluvver

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 05:15:55 PM »

I am not sure on what kind of heating element I have.  This incubator has worked great in the past.  I am using a reptile aquarium thermometer. 
chevyluvver

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 07:15:55 PM »

Still no eggs hatching.  And the incubator is not working good.  I can't get the temp up past 90.  It has been like this off and on for the last 3 days.  Please don't laugh at me if this is a stupid question, but would if I put the eggs under a heat lamp?  Ofcourse the temp would be monitored.   I'm just so mad thinking they aren't going to hatch. 
komer

gamebird breeder wannabe

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 07:28:49 PM »

i think that lamb would do great job,here in croatia a lot of incubators are using lamp as heating element...it is cheap and when turns on emitts heat in few seconds,and when is turned off dont emitt heat for long..i think that you know that but you must have in all incubator same temperature..humidity is important too...why dont you use old fridge as incubator?it have good thermoisolation!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »

Maybe, put the lamp directly over the closed incubator and adjust it up or down until you get within temperature range?  This way you will be able to maintain the controlled atmosphere and just boost the temperature.  One of those "clamp lamps" would work good for this. Be careful not to burn the place down!  :-| I have never pulled such a stunt myself, but you're in a fix it sounds.

Once you get through this, I'd use that thing for target practice!   s47

Maybe somebody else will chime in with an ingenius idea.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 07:56:28 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 07:52:44 PM »

I almost forgot............

Please don't laugh at me........

s020     j33

j/k   :wink:

Your situation is not funny at all, I'd be hacked!!

Look here:  http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=2696.0

« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 08:01:07 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 09:26:04 PM »

Maybe, put the lamp directly over the closed incubator and adjust it up or down until you get within temperature range?  This way you will be able to maintain the controlled atmosphere and just boost the temperature.  One of those "clamp lamps" would work good for this. Be careful not to burn the place down!  :-| I have never pulled such a stunt myself, but you're in a fix it sounds.

Once you get through this, I'd use that thing for target practice!   s47

Maybe somebody else will chime in with an ingenius idea.
Yea that's what I'd do.

since the temps been on the low end, you'll prolly get late hatches so be patient. Can candle if you have one of them instense candlers or I guess could try the water technique. But i've been able to hear and feel my chicks just by shaking the eggs lightly in my hands and/or next to my ears.
chevyluvver

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 09:35:30 PM »

Thank you all for your help.  I am sure the chicks are ok yet as I can see the eggs move once in awhile.  I will try the lamp. 
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »