Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:06:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  hatching percents
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hatching percents  (Read 2903 times)
hunter3015

« on: December 23, 2007, 04:57:25 PM »

I just recently started hatching quail eggs, I purchased a GQF 1502 and have purchased twice (100 count COTURNIX QUAIL eggs) the first time hatched 62 out of 100 with 16 coming up clear on the 10 day) the second time i hatched 57 out of 120 with 24 clear when candled.  so thats around 60% or so just wanteed to check and see if this was normal.    also have 20 Mexican specks in there now will let ya'll know how they come out....

not sure if good or bad but my 3 Young daughters really enjoy watching them hatch then playing with them.  lol

the eggs came from ebay so no dealer was used, just (jakeleg eggs)

Bad day hunting is better then a good day at work.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 07:06:36 PM »

Those #'s are about as good as it gets with shipped eggs
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 07:09:39 PM »

As usual, I have to disagree  s176

There are so many variables that occur during shipping, that to say 60% is as good as it gets it utter bs. I've gotten anywhere from 97% to 10% hatch rates on shipped eggs myself, not to mention the feedback I get from the people that buy eggs from me, that are shipped 99% of the time. I have many repeat customers year after year who give nothing but praise for my eggs, and yet others who come back for my service of replacing bad hatches with another set of eggs. Anything can happen while those eggs are in transit, most of which we have no control over. Reputable sellers will try and make sure you are happy, as a happy customer usually returns. Heck, I sold all of my bobwhite eggs to a guy in Texas this past season, 5000+ bob eggs. Shipped every monday morning. His hatches ranged anywhere from 50% to 95%, shipped the same way every time. He asked to buy all of them again this year, from day one till the end of season. As do most people, he knows that who knows what will happen to eggs in transit, and sometimes they don't receive the best care....

Chris

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 03:41:41 AM »

There are so many variables that occur during shipping, that to say 60% is as good as it gets it utter bs. I've gotten anywhere from 97% to 10% hatch rates on shipped eggs myself, not to mention the feedback I get from the people that buy eggs from me, that are shipped 99% of the time.
hmmm....so aren't you infact agreeing with jchiar? Because, yes...due to the fact that there are many factors involved, shipped eggs will tend to have a lower hatch rate in "general." Isn't that what you're both saying?

From my own experience, the Coturnix variants, i.e. buttons, coturnix, a&m, their eggs may not be as resilient as bobwhite's given the rough handling that is pretty much expected. I've always had great hatches with shipped bobwhite egg's but lower with the coturnix variants.(of course not scientifically proven :wink:) But I would have to say that "Yes" 60% is generally a good average for shipped eggs. ^-^
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 03:47:13 AM by aKirA » Logged
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 04:32:13 AM »

There are so many variables that occur during shipping, that to say 60% is as good as it gets it utter bs. I've gotten anywhere from 97% to 10% hatch rates on shipped eggs myself, not to mention the feedback I get from the people that buy eggs from me, that are shipped 99% of the time. I have many repeat customers year after year who give nothing but praise for my eggs, and yet others who come back for my service of replacing bad hatches with another set of eggs. Anything can happen while those eggs are in transit, most of which we have no control over. Reputable sellers will try and make sure you are happy, as a happy customer usually returns. Heck, I sold all of my bobwhite eggs to a guy in Texas this past season, 5000+ bob eggs. Shipped every monday morning. His hatches ranged anywhere from 50% to 95%, shipped the same way every time. He asked to buy all of them again this year, from day one till the end of season. As do most people, he knows that who knows what will happen to eggs in transit, and sometimes they don't receive the best care....

Chris
:angel:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »