Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 12:53:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Hovabator or Little Giant
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hovabator or Little Giant  (Read 12311 times)
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« on: November 29, 2007, 10:54:53 AM »

I was planning on getting a new Hovabator to replace my other older foam incubator,

while in my local feed store the other day I see one labeled as a 'Little Giant' but looks identical to the Hovabator I was going to order.

Is it the same but from different companys ??

The local store one is also about 2/3rds the price of the listed Hovabator.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 11:11:35 AM »

Many people think the GQF (Hovabator) turner is much better.  It will not fit into the Little Giant, in case you want to add a turner, later.  Little Giant does make a lot of good products.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 02:20:11 PM »

The 'Little Giant' does come with an egg turner, I'll check it out tomorrow and see how it fits, the one I have now is an older model Hovabator without a turner, and thats something I want, it was fine for chickens but this year want to hatch some Quail and Pheasant eggs.

I was just struck by how much the Little Giant in the store here looks like the Hovabator in the catalog.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
SportDog

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 06:41:10 PM »

I bought a LG forced air incubator and turner and have had great success with my hatches.  I would recommend it anyday.  Never used the other to compare but my hatches couldnt get much better.  80-90% hatch everytime ive used it.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »

Is the LG of comparable size, and price? 

I would think there would be quite a market for a table top incubator capable of handling 200-300 Quail/Chukar eggs.  But, without an outrageous price tag.

SportDog

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 10:36:03 AM »

Is the LG of comparable size, and price?

Yes on size.  The LG is a little cheaper.

I would think there would be quite a market for a table top incubator capable of handling 200-300 Quail/Chukar eggs.  But, without an outrageous price tag.

I would think it would be too big if it held that many eggs to be considered a table top unit.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 07:54:45 PM »

I have a big table!

That's a good looking Brittany.  For some reason he looks like he should be on a carousel.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 07:57:34 PM by wildergamebirds » Logged

Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 06:43:19 PM »

I looked at my old unit today(old 3 yrs) it is a LG. Worked fine, had 85+% hatches, but wanted one with turner and fan. 

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

Thomas Jefferson
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 06:54:20 PM »

I own a Hovabator electric thermostat with egg turner. Im prettty sure both LG and GQF have compareble models that work just as fine.

Im not sure on this but I recall reading  incubator ads on ebay that the GQF's has a longer warranty so you may want to check on that.
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 07:13:23 PM »

Jake,

I have both.  I have modifed the LG's to use the old style hovabator bottoms that have a plastic tray.  The new ones don't use the plastic trays.  I have several LG's and a hovabator all with turners that could use a new home.  If interested, pm me.
PSUQuailer

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 07:48:38 PM »

Try going to Meyer hatchery they had good prices on Hovabator incubators                       

Hova-Bator Incubator w/ Fan

$85.23
brentsquailfarm

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 08:06:24 PM »

I have looked around and Cutler supply has the lowest price on incubators.

Don't forget to take a kid hunting or fishing.
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 01:34:25 AM »

what about the quality and effectiveness of the Hova-bator Genesis?

http://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=77

labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 05:11:57 AM »

I am not sure about the Genesis, I have 2 of the 2362n with turners and optional
quail egg trays. The only thing I have done is add I.V. lines (new from the Hospital) to maintain h2o level. The unit works well, until like all table top models, you have to open it to add more water. I was opening it several times over the course of the hatch, each time loosing heat and humidity. With the tubes in place, and hooked up to pop bottles , it doesn't need to be opened.
When Reeves shows me how to post pictures, :?: I will!

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 08:37:50 AM »

I am not sure about the Genesis, I have 2 of the 2362n with turners and optional
quail egg trays. The only thing I have done is add I.V. lines (new from the Hospital) to maintain h2o level. The unit works well, until like all table top models, you have to open it to add more water. I was opening it several times over the course of the hatch, each time loosing heat and humidity. With the tubes in place, and hooked up to pop bottles , it doesn't need to be opened.
When Reeves shows me how to post pictures, :?: I will!

labmancan,

I have basically the same thing, I use gravity feeding bags(IE. G-Tube Feeding) It works great and it saves the cost of $50-60 for the upgrade on my GQF Sportsman1502's.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »