Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:29:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Not looking good for the "Chick" Egg Incubator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not looking good for the "Chick" Egg Incubator  (Read 3897 times)
budfog
« on: July 15, 2006, 03:13:48 PM »

I've been reading posts in this forum for the past 20 days.  On June 27, 2006 I received my yellow, clear domed chick egg incubator with four cortunix quail eggs.  Well, today is the 19th day of incubation and I'm frustrated, none have hatched.  I've read post after post, "don't use the chick'a'bator" but I already had it so I used it.  This was my first time attempting to hatch quail eggs- first time trying to hatch any eggs for that matter.  I was very attentive to the eggs, turning them three times a day, and monitoring the incubator's temperature to maintain approximately 100 degrees.  Any chance of them hatching?  How many days should I let them go until I crack 'em open to see if any development occurred at all?
kcgamebirdfarm

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 04:35:59 PM »

hey,
     they most likely will not hatch...... you can see if they developed but then that just makes you more frustrated. Someone correct me if i am wrong but i think that your temp should have been a little higher in a still air incubator. I have never used something that small but i think that the manufacturer suggests 102 for sill air incubators - also turning 3 times a day is allot of cooling off for the incubator that small. maybe try only twice next time. The biggest problem with most hatches though is humidity - i do not know how it is controlled but that may be the problem with these small bators
Kyle

~what good are birds without feathers?~
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 06:12:37 AM »

Well I'd say it's still possible that they may hatch. Especailly if conditions were kept accurate and stable enough. I've had coturnix hatches in my homemade incubator at around 20+ days due to low heat. Do not crack open the eggs just yet though. If you have a candler or small flash light, try to see if there is an air pocket on the fat side and that the rest is dark or any sign of chick moving etc.

I have one of them chickbator also, and yes, I dont recommend them. They arent stable. Yes the temp should be 101 or 102 give or take. But there is no accurate way to control the heat on that thing. I think turning the egg's 3 times is fine. Since the incubator space is small, it usually will come to temp pretty fast. Still i recommend the entry level incubators like HovaBators or lil Giants and also need to try atleast 12 eggs for a good chance of any to hatch. good luck.
honda2hummer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 03:37:29 PM »

mine took about 19 to 20 days, don't give up just yet.
honda2hummer
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 06:45:32 PM »

how are your eggs looking now? Same?
CalebK273

Mandarin Drake at the house.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 07:40:01 PM »

Never buy a "Chick" Egg Incubator.  I know they cost a lot less than other incubators, but they just don't function right.  They are meant for small projects such as hatching quail with kids at school.  But since you already had one I don't see why it doesn't hurt using it.

Caleb

Caleb L. Kordsmeier
I have Woodducks, Mandarins, AGB's and BB Red OEG.
Visit My Website
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 11:10:47 PM »

They probably make good lamps. I saw one at agway a few months ago and I had to laugh. I have the foam hova-bator and little giants and I love them.

mike
kcgamebirdfarm

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 12:30:03 PM »

hey,
    here is an e-mail a guy just sent me that was using one of these small chick-o-bators

"Every incubated egg hatched.
Thanks for the opportunity."
-David

yeah it was only 8 eggs but still that aint bad after reading all these posts!
Kyle

~what good are birds without feathers?~
budfog
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 11:11:09 PM »

Unfortunately none of the eggs hatched.  After cracking them open, I observed that little to no embryonic development occurred, which was disappointing, but it definitely illuminated the inadequacies of the mini bator.  I picked up a GQF Hovabator, and just started incubating 14 button quail eggs.  Any advice?
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 11:00:18 AM »

keep water in the big channel for the first 14 days and turn at least 3 times a day. for the last 3 days keep water in both channels to raise humidity and stop turning the eggs. You might also have to add wet sponges to get humidity up to the level it needs to be. Get a hygrometer and a turner would be good too.

mike
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »