Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:25:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Gas prices
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gas prices  (Read 176316 times)
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #195 on: June 27, 2008, 08:57:59 AM »

Gas prices still hovering at $4.09.9 in the 10-mile radius here.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Have any of you heard about the supposed fuel they are working on making from bug poo? Heard a little thing on the radio about it the other day... Don't know any details, but man, there would have to be a giant bug farm somewhere!!! spider

Your kidding right j47
I swear I heard it on the radio one morning. I don't know how true it is or if it's just some freak somewhere with a hair brained idea. Need to google... Makes me wonder...
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #196 on: June 27, 2008, 09:02:13 AM »

It's true... Check this out... It's really from a bacteria ("bug") that breaks down organic stuff and produces crude oil as an excrement!!! Interesting....
http://www.mandjshow.com/videos/bug-fuel/
And here's an article in case you can't see the video for some reason...I know some folks out there still have dial-up... I'm sorry.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article4133668.ece
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 09:06:25 AM by jaime7997 » Logged
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #197 on: June 27, 2008, 09:10:36 AM »

It seems that OPEC is the one that loves to cause the speculation in the oil markets.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Oil reached $140 a barrel for the first time ever Thursday following reports that Libya may cut production and an OPEC official said crude could hit $170 a barrel this summer.

According to a report by the Bloomberg news service, Shokri Ghanem, chairman of Libya's National Oil Corporation, said reductions may be made because the market is oversupplied.

Other reasons given by Ghanem: A response to sanctions against Iran, also a member of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, and a bill being discussed in Congress that could allow lawsuits against OPEC countries.

Speaking to France 24 television Thursday, OPEC president Chakib Khelil said oil prices could rise to between $150 and $170 a barrel during the summer. He added that he didn't think oil would hit $200 a barrel.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080627/ts_nm/markets_oil_dc

And in todays yahoo news

CURB SPECULATION

A 40 percent surge in oil prices this year has prompted U.S. politicians to take steps to try to curb speculation in the oil market, that some blame for pushing up prices.

The U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday approved legislation which directs the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), the futures market regulator, to use all its authority including emergency powers to "curb immediately" the role of excessive speculation in energy futures markets.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080627/ts_nm/markets_oil_dc

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2008, 09:32:20 AM »

It's true... Check this out... It's really from a bacteria ("bug") that breaks down organic stuff and produces crude oil as an excrement!!! Interesting....
http://www.mandjshow.com/videos/bug-fuel/
And here's an article in case you can't see the video for some reason...I know some folks out there still have dial-up... I'm sorry.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article4133668.ece

Interesting! Thanks for the links.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
frank_lap_127
« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2008, 09:55:21 AM »

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see a great future for this. It would be wonderful if it could be really done with shavings, compost but I think that it will do like ethanol, they will use a plant that produce a lot of sugar (corn) to make more money with less trouble. So the cost of food after this will rise again because all the morons who are rising their prices due to ''gas price'' will have a new argument to make more money, they think we are stupid, it's funny to see that they try to make us think that the only expenditure they have is fuel.

I think that the best thing in a near futur are electric cars. It's possible to get a car quite powerful, nobody really need to have a car than is doing 0-60 in 4-5 seconds, nobody really need to have a car that can reach 100 mph... Few people are building electric car themselves that are quite good, so the rich companies are able to create something better...

Frank
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2008, 10:24:36 AM »

I think that you are exactly right Frank....

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #201 on: June 27, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »

Why not sugar cane or sugar beets to make alcohol.
Corn for food and alcohol for fuel

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
frank_lap_127
« Reply #202 on: June 27, 2008, 10:47:21 AM »

Why not sugar cane or sugar beets to make alcohol.
Corn for food and alcohol for fuel

Why taking food, I think it's more important to feed humans than to feed our gas thanks. Here in Canada, our ''dear'' governement is trying to obligate people to use ethanol/fuel mix. Ethanol, created like it is now, is really not clean for environment because corn is the worst kind of plant you can industrially use, lots of pesticides, lots of fuel burned, use the earth really faster than most other plants. So, to me, ethanol is a big enemy to Earth saving for the moment.

So finally, I prefer to say ''Why not food for human and electricity (or another clean energy) for car''. Because it's wonderful to think that we can create fuel really fast, but we need to save Earth. I know that some people here are quite old (please don't take it bad) and that some won't probably see the real problems that global warming will bring, but remember that there are young people, like myself (and my kids when I'll be older) that will still be alive. The best legacy you can let to your children, grand-children, etc. is a clean environment...

Thanks

Frank
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #203 on: June 27, 2008, 10:54:53 AM »

Taking that much sugar out of the system would do the same thing that the corn is doing..there is sugar in just about everything..and sugar cane can only be grown in very limited places in this country and corn can be grown just about anywhere..I really believe that it is as they have been saying on TV it is the speculators that are driving everything up so high..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2008, 11:15:16 AM »

OK no sugar.... but a battery powered truck?
I can see it with a car. Not so sure with a 4x4 in the winter in NH.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2008, 12:43:47 PM »

I've been known to run on nothing but alcohol and air a time or two.  Best thing is that the only 2 by-products is methane gas, which can be used as a repellent or maybe run a furnace on it?   And a cure for jelly fish stings.

^-^

frank_lap_127
« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2008, 01:01:02 PM »

A battery powered truck is possible, I've saw a video on YouTube of a guy a bit older than me, at the university, who have done this with an old Datson (or something like) and was telling that with his money (don't forget he's at university!) he was able to run a truck and that the electricity bill of his dad was only $18 higher than normal, it's nothing compare to the $80-100/week (even more) for most of the people who have to use a car...

Methane is also really interessant because, when it's burned, it create carbon dioxide wich is 21 time les polluant than methane.

Thanks

Frank
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #207 on: July 09, 2008, 08:22:56 AM »

Gas prices still holding around the $3.99 to $4.09 a gallon in the 10 mile radius where I am located.

A couple of stations that have the 10% ethanol are priced $.05 cheaper per gallon.

Has anyone seen any difference beside less MPG when using the gas blended with the 10% ethanol, engine running wise?

Any pros and cons on using this blended gas in mowers and chainsaws?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #208 on: July 16, 2008, 07:40:37 AM »

Gas prices in a 10-mile radius of Slate,WV are $4.09 - $4.15 gal. as of today 7-16-08

I paid on this past Sunday, $3.99.9

The price should be coming down since the price of crude dropped, What happened? Didn't they  s12 or the updated version ??? s53 idiots  s020

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080716/ap_on_bi_ge/oil_prices;_ylt=AtbHLDzfW07hygHP.QM3Huqs0NUE

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2008, 10:35:23 AM »

What they're not tellin' ya and probably never will, is that they are slowing the consumption down. (Global Warming) (Runnin' out of oil)  ???   People won't do it on their own, so the powers that be are going to do it for us. When everybody is getting 50 mpg, the price will be $10.00 a gallon or more.

s16

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36 Go Up Print 
« previous next »