Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:16:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  GQF Hova-Bator Eletronic Thermostate Incubator #1588
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GQF Hova-Bator Eletronic Thermostate Incubator #1588  (Read 4317 times)
TopKnot

« on: February 03, 2006, 07:57:04 PM »

I was wondering if anyone uses this model of Hova-Bator and if they were happy with how it operated.  I am looking to purchase a new incubator this spring and I liked the pre-set function this model comes, although it is a bit on the pricey side.  Thanks!
japquails1410
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 07:33:54 AM »

i use the hova- bator i have eggs in it at the mo thay will hatch on the 10th of this month and it i working OK for me i live in the UK so the temp goes up and down here as i say it is OK
deathchaser
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 11:09:18 PM »

I have 2 of these now and I have had great results. It is really nice not having to constantly watch the temperature and adjusting it because of minor room temperature fluctuations. I have noticed that it really seems to hold a constant temperature and I have yet to experience any temperature spikes like I had with previous models. I have incubated quail, ringnecks and red goldens in this unit and my hatch went up dramatically from the numbers I was getting using the still air models. I have a turner in one and I use the second one as a hatcher. I only hatch a select number of eggs to maintain and replace my breeding stock, and I try to place the eggs in the first incubator once a week, at which time I remove the eggs that were set 3 weeks before, and place them in the hatcher. That way I have a hatch coming out once a week, which gives me the time to clean and sterilize the one I use as a hatcher between each hatch.

Something else I have found that makes the process alot easier is to remove the plug out of one of the vent holes in the top, and I take a piece of oxygen tubing which you can get at any medical supply store, and cut a section about 12 inches long with the connection remaining on the end. I then place the cut end of the tube through the vent hole and pass it through the wire in the bottom of the incubator and into the molded water trough in the bottom of the incubator, until the connection on the end slides down and wedges into the vent hole.  Then it is a simple matter of filling the water trough by using a large plastic syringe to inject water through the tubing and into the trough to your liking. This dramatically reduces the fluctuations in temperature and humidity you can experience when removing the lid every couple days to maintain the water levels.
deadeye1

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 01:56:25 AM »

Very good thinking deathchaser.I also use 2 Hovabaters and 2 little giants as hatchers.Now the same way you use the watering system,I use a battery operated Brinsea thermometer and a plastic coated gel sleeve called a Water Weasel.With the Brinsea on the ouside that has a wire running to a sensor Probe threaded through the same air hole that you use for the water tube.Now the water weasel is giving you the incubating  temperature that is inside the egg.It makes it easier to adjust the temp with an accurate 2/10th of a degree.I believe you can order both at FarmTek.You set the WaterWeasel at the same level as the eggs.My problem is humidity that i just spot check every 2 days and i do ok with a hydrometer.Less humid is better than to much except the last 3 days.Deadeye

I was on this forum before,But some how i lost my idenity
TopKnot

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 05:05:05 PM »

Thanks all for the feedback and tricks for getting water in without a lot of fuss.  It sound slike this model is worth the extra $$.
deadeye1

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 12:39:00 AM »

I made an error on where to buy the Brinsea Thermometer.It is sold at EasyChicken(http:www.shilala.com/therm.html )Or Go to (easychicken.com)Sorry.Deadeye

I was on this forum before,But some how i lost my idenity
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »