Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:37:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  "whats that noise" ?!!!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "whats that noise" ?!!!!!!  (Read 6356 times)
oneyeehaw
« on: May 21, 2004, 03:17:10 PM »

For the past 2 weeks I have been hearing this bird noise.   I  mean in the
early morning, sometimes at night, and thru-out the day.

I even told my husband "somebody must have a new parrot".

Then yesterday I am out in the round pen (general vicinity of Bobwhite cage) and realize it's MY birds making that noise!!!

LOL   Who'd have thought??????   The bird was saying "bob WHITE".   and talk about a noise carrying!   I think I have oned the oldest 3 birds for 9 months and have NEVER heard it.    What took so long?

>Karen
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 04:14:18 PM »

Step out your door & whistle the 3 notes & wait !I get mine going all the time, even in the house  :D
oneyeehaw
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 06:51:16 PM »

You know thats what threw me off.   They aren't making the noise I heard when they were babies.  

I's be in the shower, and I could hear the babies in the next room singing that 3-4 note song.

These birds are making a TOTAL different sound.  Its short of a "cat call" sound.  It s 2 notes.

:lol:
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 06:53:10 PM »

My "what is that sound" shock came this spring when my (2003 hatch) Red Golden Pheasant males "found" their voices.  Up until then it had been simple low pitched squeals,chirps etc.. Then late one evening it sounded like someone slammed the door on a cat's tail......Talk about a shriek!! When I first purchased the eggs my wife gave me that "what...more birds?? look."  I told her that they didn't make any noise......good thing she fell in love with their colors before they began talking.

David
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 06:56:44 PM »

:lol: I've always said the Goldens call is like rusty door hinges & the Amherst like a rusty hand pump: both real loud !
muttsburg
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 10:15:48 AM »

My guinies sounded like a cross between a turkey gobble, a box of rocks and a cat in the fan belt, all day, all night. Or atleast they did. After 9 months of them roosting outside the bedroom window my husband had a short talk with them. They don't do that anymore  :cry:

Glad he likes the call of the Bob Whites  :wink:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 10:24:29 AM »

I have some bobs that are about 12 weeks old and one male that is about 9 months old. I have never heard the "bob white" sound out of any of them. I can hide around the corner and whistle the "bob-white" sound and the 9 month old male will start talking..he keeps getting louder and louder....but never the "bob-white" sound.  Do they have to reach a certain age to make the sound and/or is it just certain times of the year? Another thing is.......it is the males that only make the "bob-white" sound isn't it?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
oneyeehaw
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004, 11:59:21 AM »

Thats a good question!    Tell us!  What age do they start making that Bobwhite noise.

The male thats making that noise in my cage is "stumpy".  He has been hidden and retreived by our lab numerous times.  Now we have a couple of britts (mine and our friends)  hanging around.  We have a little "bobwhite" harness we put HIM into and work the dogs on their ponting skills.

Poor stumpy.   he got his name because one time while I was catching him I pulled out all his tail feathers    :?    Lets just say they are VERY slow growing.

Thin he prefers to be "dog handled"  to been shot at???
>Karen
britguy33
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2004, 02:13:05 PM »

during breeding season quail will whistle bob-bob-white. once paired up they drop the first bob. You will commonly hear them in the fall/winter calling bob bob white or just bob white or 3-4 bobs and a white to recover and covey up when it gets colder. Just my experience listening to them in the evening after my dogs have busted them up.
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 06:11:31 AM »

Ours started calling "Bob, Bob-White" this year. I think they started doing it because there is a rival male outside the pen. He was one of ours that never was retrieved. He hangs out and eats left overs. I do not know if he has started a covey of his own but when the females started laying and calling he will call back. I call to them all the time and we get quite a conversation going, even the wild one will call back to me. The husband can not whistle and I don't know how realistic I sound but they call back to me.

The noise that scared me was the pea-cock down the road at the neighbors house. Sounds like screaming all the time. I wanted a pea-cock and pea-fowl just cause they are so pretty but not after I heard that noise they make. My husband told me what it was they are pretty but not that pretty.
 :lol:

Five Hollers Quail Farm
muttsburg
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 09:17:29 AM »

Fivehollers

I was going to get peacocks too but have decided to wait until I find a good taxidermist  :roll:
Fourche River Quail
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 03:30:17 PM »

Quote from: britguy33
during breeding season quail will whistle bob-bob-white. once paired up they drop the first bob. You will commonly hear them in the fall/winter calling bob bob white or just bob white or 3-4 bobs and a white to recover and covey up when it gets colder. Just my experience listening to them in the evening after my dogs have busted them up.

Britguy:: I have ofen wondered why they drop the first bob in late spring and early summer. Never new that it was cause they were paired up. U can learn somethin ever day on this site :shock:  Thanks for postin that little bit of info. :D
Darookie
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 02:46:53 PM »

"Whats that noise"?!!!!!... Thats similar to what I said when I first heard my Mountain Quail Call, except it was something like "What the **** is that?"
I am familiar the calls from the Valley Quail, Doves and Chukars, but had never heard a MT Quail. It sounded like a 300 pound Sparrow!!!!CHIRP........CHIRP. The bad thing is I live in a subdivision where the houses are fairly close....nieghbors did not appreciate the early morning wake-up call.
                        Gary
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »