Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:41:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Waterers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Waterers  (Read 4492 times)
Bloomingtongamebirds

« on: May 06, 2004, 10:35:01 AM »

I am looking for a post that was made back in early April about making some waterers out of buckets from Home Depot and nipples from I believe
some place called FarmTek I also believe it was posted by BOBT. I have tried to go back on the posts but it won't
let me.Then I did some looking around here and I quess all the old post are gone. If any one can help let me know. Thanks!
Country Quail Boy FL
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 08:01:29 PM »

here is a link for the nipples in the farmtek catalog https://www.farmtekcatalog.com/lg_display.cfm?page_number=238

I ain't sure but i think they just mounted the nipples in the bottom of the bucket and hooked it on the side of the pen or they hung it from the top of the pen.
stanley roberts
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 01:39:43 PM »

i have made some wateres but there not like the ones you talking about
on the other forum i was asking how to keep the waters from haveing slime
builing up in them
Scorpion
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 02:13:59 PM »

Copper Sulfate can be added to the water to kill the green stuff. Most livestock supply stores will have some. Mix it as recomended and the birds can ingest it without any problems. It's a good idea to change the water periodically as well.
  I don't care very much for the nipples, they tend to leak and make puddles. Gqf makes a cup waterer that is plummed like the nipples.
 Automatic watering systems are very easy to make. If you want to use a holding tank, no matter if it's 5, 15, 30 or 50 gallons, you drill a hole in the bottom(on the side) of the bucket. There is a kit to put in the hole, it goes in the hole and rubber washers seal the edge of the hole. The output is a 1/4" fitting to put hose on. The hose is ran to splitters to be routed to how many waterers you need. The water cup is fastened to the cage or a pvc pipe and the hoses are connected at each point with a small clamp. Smith's Poultry Suppy and Cutlers Pheasant and Poultry Supply carry all the needed items.
 I'm not sure if a pressure reducing valve is needed for the large capacity tanks. Most automatic waterers need 5 psi or less of pressure to opperate. A pressure reducing valve is available with a water hose connection. This can be screwwed directly to the water hose, the lines go to the waterers and the waterers mounted.
 I previosly tried the round automatic waterers that sit on the ground thier called 9" drinkers and are generally sold with a starter kit. I thought everything was just fine, no more worries with watering the birds. I lost many chukars apon inspection I found thier water to be brown with fecies. In turn I would recomend the small cups or nipples if you choose since they are elevated and wont be contaminated by feciese. Also The system is of little use in the winter without heat.
Bloomingtongamebirds

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 08:13:18 AM »

Thanks for the info I believe I'll try the cups, They sound better and more sanitary.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »