Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:04:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Individual State/Country Discussion
| | |-+  Iowa
| | | |-+  any iowans here
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: any iowans here  (Read 16265 times)
mobe_45
Expert Member

« on: May 27, 2007, 10:05:53 PM »

Am I the only Iowan here?

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
Chagrin

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 02:22:36 AM »

s144
I'm over in Dubuque. Not as lucky as you to have a company like McMurray in the city.

I've just recently started killing quail eggs. I'd say "hatching", but my rates have been miserable. Hopefully in another month or so my oldest will start laying so I can stop having to mail order the eggs.
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 09:40:49 AM »

welcome to the site.
What kind of incubator are you using?
I have used the hovabator circulated air and was getting 65% hatch. The guys here say thats about normal for mail order eggs.
After culling infertile eggs from my home laid ones I am getting 95% hatch. Only 67% fertile eggs though. I've been told the male to female ratio is most likely my problem. Too many males.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
brokenantleracres

172" w/28 1/2" inside spread 16pointer

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 12:48:22 PM »

I live in sw IOWA well 2miles from the mo border and 25 miles from ne border

licensed Game Breeder In the State Of Iowa
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 02:00:13 PM »

brokenantleracres, looks like northboro from your mileage.
i used to hunt some near Bedford. I had a buddy that lived there about 30 years ago.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 02:02:37 PM »

Last hatch this year from my home birds. This one is at two minutes old.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 03:49:31 PM »

Its fun watching the little guys get out  :?:  I've got a set hatching next weekend and have a bunch of people staying at my place for a ball tourney and they are all pretty excited to see how they do it.

Anyways, I was wondering how bad the spring weather you guys had has affected the pheasant population.  Some friends of mine and myself go somewhere hunting each year and we had planned on going to Iowa this year.  Are you guys able to tell the affects of the flooding yet?  We had been planning to go hunt near the northeast corner but I think thats where they got hit the worst with the flooding.

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Chagrin

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 11:23:16 PM »

What kind of incubator are you using?

I built my incubator myself; I'm fairly handy with cabinet building and tinkering in general. My temperature only varies +/- .5F but it's the humidity I'm having a really hard time keeping above 50%. 
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 11:27:58 PM »

This is a link to the iowa upland game survival estimates.
http://www.iowadnr.com/wildlife/pdfs/2008_snowfall_pheasant_estimate.pdf
 The whole eastern third and the south central part is estimated to be way down due to 71 to 110% above normal snow this past winter.

The north central and NW areas are suposed to be the best for pheasant. http://www.iowadnr.com/wildlife/files/upmaps.html

In August the DNR takes roadside surveys and will post the results online.

Since the flooding I haven't seen or heard much from the local (central) pheasants.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 08:37:04 AM »

Thanks Mobe.  It almost seems wrong to worry about the bird population and my hunting aspirations with what they had to deal with this spring. 

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 09:35:26 PM »

We are about an hour north of Des Moines. We were lucky as the flooding was only a bit worse here than in '93. For a week there were about four blocks in town that were under water. Some fields here got redrowned in the low areas this past week with the rains. Those spots won't yield anything. Most fields look fantastic here though. All the tornadoes were south and east of us this year too. One of my coworkers had a daughter who lived in the town that disappeared from the tornado a month ago. Her photos are incredible. Animals wandering around the town in the rubble. Not even foundations above ground. A 24 inch steel culvert is stuck through a tree about fifteen feet off the  ground.
Our yard here is soaking wet right now.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
brokenantleracres

172" w/28 1/2" inside spread 16pointer

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 11:54:17 AM »

"looks like northboro from your mileage"

Well mobe_45 you are close I live between blanchard and college springs

licensed Game Breeder In the State Of Iowa
Chagrin

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 11:19:56 AM »

The August survey data is out.

...it's not good.

http://www.iowadnr.com/wildlife/files/uproadd.html
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 01:13:12 PM »

Wow, I knew populations would be down but wow :-[

tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 01:44:52 PM »

j1  Hi all.  I'm located just outside Sioux City, Iowa.  Have been raising cort.  quail for 2 years now.  Just on the hobby level now, but have sold enough to pay for the feed, (just barely)
   Got a question........................ has anyone got ideas on what to do with the eggs after you are done hatching the season's hatches?  I have been blowing the eggs out to use for crafts and then dehydrating the "insides" to use in recipes.  Works well.  Problem is , my quail just keep layin' and layin' and layin'  I have them inside the garage in wire pens and there seems to be no end in sight on the layin'!  Any ideas, goofy or otherwise?? s85
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »