Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:59:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  quail feed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: quail feed  (Read 23097 times)
bondoron

Personal Text

« on: March 19, 2009, 08:03:11 PM »

I was wondering what you all do for feed. Do you use commercial gamebird feed, or do you have your own mixtures? Also do they make a quail starter for chicks? Or do you use chicken starter?

Ron
TENNESSERED

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 10:27:57 PM »

Around here (middle Tn) most of the folks raising quail use a commercial game bird feed.  It comes in three formulas:  1)breeder    2)grower   3)starter.  Breeder has a little more protein and calcium.  Grower has a little less protein, but is a little less per bag.  Starter has the highest protein about 26% and is ground a little finer than the other two.  I personaly have switched to new feed called "super-mini layer pellet.  It is a chicken feed, but it is 22% protein and has the other things that hens need to stay healthy while laying.  It is about 3.50$ a bag cheaper than the game bird chow and the pellet size is small enough for all my birds except the button quail.  Since they are pellets the birds waste almost none of it.  I sure some of the quys on this net probaby either mix their own or buy in bulk, but most of us can't really do that so 50 lb. bags are our option.  You don't want to use chicken starter with Quail because it is way to low in protien and you will end up health problems in your chicks.
good luck raising quail

Man Cave

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:59:48 PM »

Ron,
 What type of quail are you going to raise?
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 11:17:13 PM »

Around here, middle east nebraska, I have a hard time finding game bird feed priced for less than my first born, so I use chick feed and grind it for the brooder.  I use the chicken layer feed for my adult birds  It has worked well for me for 3 yrs.  Takes some time to grind, but I use a food processor so it's not so bad.  As the birds grow I grind less.  I raise jumbo soturnix now.
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 11:19:20 PM »

That should be Coturnix.  I really don'[t know what a Soturnix is,  ss1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 07:04:08 AM »

I was wondering what you all do for feed. Do you use commercial gamebird feed, or do you have your own mixtures? Also do they make a quail starter for chicks? Or do you use chicken starter?

Commercially made feed for me. 28% protien (starter) for chicks.

Read through the threads below this one (in this board) for more details.

Around here, middle east nebraska, I have a hard time finding game bird feed priced for less than my first born, so I use chick feed and grind it for the brooder.  I use the chicken layer feed for my adult birds  It has worked well for me for 3 yrs.  Takes some time to grind, but I use a food processor so it's not so bad.  As the birds grow I grind less.  I raise jumbo soturnix now.

nn2     b3

Do you add anything to up the protein levels?  Chicken feed doesn't have near enough protein for gamebird chicks. Otherwise, I do believe that your birds would be malnourished.

sf1

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 07:05:51 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 11:16:40 AM »

No I don't.  Thhe birds are doing quit nicely.
 Maybe I'm just lucky.  All my birds are healthy and energetic,
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 12:06:20 PM »

No I don't.  Thhe birds are doing quit nicely.
 Maybe I'm just lucky.  All my birds are healthy and energetic,

It would take a very sharp eye to see the effects of a diet deficient in protein , and therefore essential amino acids , and trace elements etc.

The insides are where the big changes will be, of which there are a host of them.

I sent some info not long ago to a person on this forum in regards to Cotunix. Having no real interest in them, I need to read it again to check on the proper diets for them......
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 12:56:35 PM »

I did neglect to mention that I provide oyster shell and grit for my birds.

Reeves, thank you for any input.  For someone to take the time to look up information on a type bird they have no interest in, shows a true loyal bird raiser and dedication to this forum !
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 01:12:07 PM »

I'll try and see if I have the info later.

The oyster shell....I found that the Bobs I had, and the Valley Quail, didn't use it, untill I crushed it fairly fine.
Another friend sent me some info on calcium .....I need to read it again and I'll post that as well.....just read it again. The fellow changes from just "normal" grit, to a mix that includes a calcium grit. I'll have to ask him if this is just the normal kind that is flat and sharp, or something that is formed. If it is formed, it would be used more than the flat and sharp stuff, which can cut a birds throat and crop etc.
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 01:28:18 PM »

For my Quail Chicks, I always use/used Turkey Starter, Higher protien. You can get medicated or not. Just have to grind it for the first few weeks (coffee grinder, Blender).
I also buy the Oyster shell flakes for all the Breeding birds, just take the coffee grinder to it,powder it, sprinkle it on their feed.NO more sharp edges!

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
bondoron

Personal Text

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 09:12:27 PM »

Thanks for all the replys. The problem I have is no one around here sells gamebird starter. I can get chicken and turkey. I can get gamebird grower but that is it. Any ideas on what I could do? Maybe get the turkey or chicken starter and add certain things? I am real new to this as you can see.  :laugh: I am not 100% certain on the quail I will be getting Man Cave. I am getting them for dog training. I also live in northern WI, anybody got good ideas on which ones would be best?

Ron
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 09:19:46 AM »

Turkey starter will be fine. The protein will be in the 28-30% range.
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 06:03:21 PM »

The artciles I have read indicate coturnix quail are NOT good for dog training. 
They are waaaay too calm and will crouch and hide rather than fly.
My thought would be.....stick with bobwhite for that purpose.
I haen't sold any for dog training,  I'm just going by athe articles I have read.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 09:21:22 AM »

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=5769.0
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »