Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:38:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Quail dying
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quail dying  (Read 7188 times)
joe wares
« on: April 30, 2004, 10:45:31 AM »

I need help understanding something. When my Quail were born the first
week they started dying at a very rapid pace. all temps were right they had plenty of food and water, so I started doing some research and found or believed to have discovered that they needed Baccatracin so i Found water soluble BMD and started medicating their water all Quail stopped dying. I was told to do this for Seven days. Now that I have stopped I have started losing Quail again. I have started medicating again does this make sense.
Please help and tell me what I am experiencing.
joe wares
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 05:26:52 PM »

Quote from: joe wares
I need help understanding something. When my Quail were born the first
week they started dying at a very rapid pace. all temps were right they had plenty of food and water, so I started doing some research and found or believed to have discovered that they needed Baccatracin so i Found water soluble BMD and started medicating their water all Quail stopped dying. I was told to do this for Seven days. Now that I have stopped I have started losing Quail again. I have started medicating again does this make sense.
Please help and tell me what I am experiencing.
Somebody please
give me an answer I need help!
Big Tex
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 03:36:04 PM »

Joe, I use a product called LS50. It is a little expensive but I Loose only about 3 quail out of a 300 quail hatch. It is a superior antibiotic which I give in their water for the first week. I noticed that the quail gain wt faster and are overall healthier. Good luck Big Tex
shagomatic
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 12:20:35 AM »

Do you have them on litter or soil?  What type of feed are you using?
Big Tex
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 11:32:28 AM »

I have my quail on wire with paper towels for the first week. After I take the paper towels out. I soak Medicated Turkey starter which is 30 percent protien with the LS 50. A lot of people dont like to use medicated starter, but I think it gets the young chicks a good head start and not losing quail is what it is all about.Make sure that your quail are finding the food, possibly move toward the heat source.
joe wares
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 10:29:12 AM »

Quote from: shagomatic
Do you have them on litter or soil?  What type of feed are you using?
Iam usin FRM Gamebird starter booster
but it does not have Baccatracin. I am now using a differrent feed with Baccatracin and every thing seems to be fine. are they that succeptable
to ulcerated enteritis??
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 08:08:56 PM »

Joe,
  The only time I ran into that my situation was similar to yours.  I took one of the dead chicks to the vet and let him figure it out.  We began an intensive treatment with antibiotics and stopped the deaths until we stopped treatment.  Once it seemed that everything was back to normal it started again.  Based on advice I received here, I threw out the rest of that bag of feed and started with a fresh bag.  My best guess is that I received a bad batch of feed.  I've always used (still do) the same local coop mixed feed of 28% protein.  This feed comes un-medicated and I've never added medication.  The only time I medicate is to treat a specific problem. All my problems stopped when I got some fresh feed.  As I said, I still use this same feed and I've lost an average 4 per 100 chicks since. I wonder if your problems aren't related to the feed also.

David
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »