Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:42:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Any deer hunting success?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any deer hunting success?  (Read 35996 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« on: November 25, 2008, 06:48:49 AM »

Anyone get a deer yet during there opening season date?

I went out yesterday morning at 7:15 when we had freezing rain to take care of the birds and met up with an 8pt for yesterdays open gun/buck season here in WV.

Not a big 8, but like they say, you can't eat the horns. the label on my scale disappeared, but he felt like at least in the 150lb range. No fat all meat.

He was taken just on the left of the barn up on the side by the fence.

Rifle was a Winchester model 94 trapper, 44mag, with a 16" barrel and with one 200g hollow point.

We had the tenderloins lastnight dipped in egg rolled in bread crumbs and baked.  The tenderloins measured in at 13"

mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm good. j2

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 07:49:20 AM »

Got a 125lb 6pt Sat. with the bow. Been shooting high all season. He would have been an 8pt but the g3's were broke off shorter than an inch.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 08:01:49 AM »

Congrats to you Steve. Nice buck. I filled my two tags on Nov. 1+2. The first two days of muzzle loader season.
Took a doe at 100# and a spike at 122#. Not as good as the 10pt I took last year but meet in the freezer.
The doe was going to run me over so I took her at 15 yards. The buck I took at eight feet. I was waiting for a broad side shot but he walked right to me for a look.
I've been out with the bow ever since.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:05:08 AM by NH/Pete » Logged

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 08:26:11 AM »

NH/pete,

The picture doesn't show up.

I got a 9 point that is also hanging around. Two nights ago we had 15 deer in the front yard, most of the 15 were yearlings and BB's. the 9-point and the 8-point were chasing the older does.

I still have 2 5-points, 1 4-point 2-spokes and a ratty 3-point. We are alowed 3 bucks and 4 does in our county. The 3 bucks is max. state limit.

I love my venison.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 08:28:55 AM »

Got a 125lb 6pt Sat. with the bow. Been shooting high all season. He would have been an 8pt but the g3's were broke off shorter than an inch.

Congrats! to ya mobe on the Saturdays deer  s98

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 08:59:07 AM »

Here is a picture of the 9-point I will be looking for next.

Steve
Phasant Hollow Farm

NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 09:05:55 AM »

Pictures up now Steve. 10pt from 2007

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 09:09:54 AM »

Congrats to all you deer hunters.there is just nothing like it..I have been deer hunting since I was 15 years old and still get just as excited at that ol doe as that 160 I killed 10 yrs ago.. I also have put plenty of meat in the freezer this year 2 with the ML and 2 with the Win. 30-06 Mod. 70. that I bought in 1963.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 09:12:56 AM »

Nice buck Pete!!!!!!!!!!! s98

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 01:05:03 PM »

Pictures up now Steve. 10pt from 2007

Congrats on the 10pt  s98  looks nice.. People around here don't let them get that big.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 02:59:10 PM »

Thanks guys. Dressed out 178lbs. The biggest I have taken around here dressed out at 202lbs , 8pt and 5.5 years old.
Most around here don't live that long.

Abraham Lincoln
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 03:56:35 PM »

Thanks guys. Dressed out 178lbs. The biggest I have taken around here dressed out at 202lbs , 8pt and 5.5 years old.
Most around here don't live that long.

NH/Pete,

After butchering the 202lbs 8pt, how much actual meat usage did you get in lbs, also, how was the taste of the meat @ 5.5 years old, compared to a 2-2.5 year old?

The 8pt that I got yesterday was a perfect heart shot. the bullet went through the rib cage and missed the ribs entering, and missed the ribs exiting the deer. The deer went 100 feet and dropped on the sidewalk. Less then 3 minutes and it was hanging up to do the gutting.

The 9pt came down an hour ago, and now I have a 4pt by the backdeck with two mature does, a BB and a yearling doe.

I just love this state they call WV.. j2

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 05:24:30 PM »

WOW Steve that's great they pose for a picture and then stick around till you get your gun. c110
I don't have it quite that good. I'm about a mile off the road and 100 yards into a swamp for my deer.
I am always looking at a 2 or 3 hour drag to get them out.
I don't recall how much meat I got from the butcher on my 8pt. I will say it was one of the best tasting that I have taken.
Could of just been because of the effort it took to get him.
Couldn't tell the difference between this and a 2.5 year old. A lot depends on the way it's cooked

Abraham Lincoln
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 06:11:26 PM »

nice deer Pete. and 2 to 3 hour drag is right. my best deer in NH took 6 hours to drag out. I always hoped to look out the back window of the camp and see a deer standing there.

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 06:28:15 PM »

I'm not a hunter, but Robert is, as you all know by now.. He got this 10 point Oct. 19 here in Ohio...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »