Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:06:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Help Needed: Newbie Quail Keeps Shutting Eye After Being Introduced to a Flock
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help Needed: Newbie Quail Keeps Shutting Eye After Being Introduced to a Flock  (Read 3107 times)
Caille

Personal Text

« on: August 25, 2010, 02:14:58 AM »

Hi everyone,

About two days ago I tried introducing my 1 month old Italian quail female to a group of Japanese quails, consisting of one male and three females. The flock lives in an outdoor floor cage with plenty of space and shelter.

When placing the Italian quail in the cage, the other quails checked it out at first by walking around it, and after a while two of the females and one in particular started chasing and pecking the Italian quail, mostly around her back area and near her eye. I distributed food to break the tension, and it worked for while.

A day later, I noticed one of the Italian quail's her eyes was shut, and on prying it open there were no signs apparent signs of soreness, bleeding to the eye or damage to the cornea. I have since removed the bird from the flock and she's now in her own cage.

The bird keeps shutting her eye intermittently, and sometimes she keeps both her eyes open while looking for food etc.

As there are no apparent signs of injury to the eye, I would like to know whether there's a need to get a vet involved? The bird seems fine other than that (eating, drinking, and not being afraid in general).

I will appreciate your assistance in the matter at hand!

Caille
bobhunter

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 11:03:34 AM »

Sorry to hear about this problem. The eyelid may begin to open after another day or two, but you might want to get some antibiotic eye ointment or drops.
Caille

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 01:47:47 PM »

Thanks for replying!  ty2

Someone suggested I use cotton immersed with tea and put it on her eyelid. Would you advise on such treatment? It won't harm the bird?
DarrenS

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:25:05 PM »

Havent used this treatment on any of my birds but have heard of it as a treatment for a sty on a person's eyelid ...  Would be interested to know the result if you use it on the quail's eye...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »