Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:57:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Random stuff....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random stuff....  (Read 10667 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: April 19, 2007, 09:43:53 AM »

My birds had been chasing their hens in the past week or more. Today all are staying inside & keeping quiet. Temp is below 0c & snow is blowing in from the north. Lawn was nearly bare of snow, now covered.

Ray of light: due to the huge amount of snow this winter, very little frost happened. So , with the ground not frozen all this new snow should melt fast. (read as more mud)

+/- in many things, I guess.....

After moving my Valley Quail I looked into their "houses" after a couple days. One hen had/has two nests & the other has one. Maybe hatch their own again this year ?

The Reeves male was chasing his hens as early as yesterday. Looking forward to getting his new pen done, so the hens quit or do less of that pin-ball stuff to get away from him !

I had some big fencing plans for this year. Going to delay them till I can rent an excavator to do some work first. Have a small field to strip: there was an older corral & I've found many steel things & wood. Then shape the land better so the water drains from the pole barn better.

(note to self: win lottery)

I have a two bay garage, with only one door. Going to extend the roof out about 15' on two sides & tin the sides. Need more space in my big pole barn ! My boat & 18' "car hauler" trailer can then be inside. Which reminds me. The "car hauler" was made in Texas ! It is better built than the ones I can get here.....unless custom built @ 2-3 times the cost.

Anyone have a link to sites that sell the coated pen wire ? Have not found any , yet....
JohnInDixon
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 09:57:04 AM »

I found this site awhile back...  Looks a little pricey, but if no one else sells it they can get it.

http://www.bassequipment.com/Default.aspx?TabId=10

John
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 10:51:57 AM »

Thanks for the link John !

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 05:42:59 PM »

Most snow has melted.....but still , spent too much time in the house !

Ordered 160 trees and bushes, to pick up on Thursday. My back hurts thinking about it now !

Made a shopping list to fill next time to the city (this week end):
5" grinder & spare grinding wheels & wire wheels
cordless 3/8" drill
concrete mixer
small 3/8" electric drill (old one died a couple days ago)
larger 3/8" electric drill (died after the smaller one)
string line level
plumb bob
magnetic level (small, have one, need two when the steel fence post are put in)
table saw or sliding compound mitre saw
Honda weed eater with spare blades
thatcher blades for lawn mower(s)
gun safe (and other stuff as I walk through   :laugh:)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 05:44:37 PM by Reeves » Logged
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 06:14:10 PM »

I wish that I had that kind of spare time.  The "Reeves" Empire continues to expand to the limits of our imagination.  :mrgreen:

:angel:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
huntersridge2

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 06:44:02 PM »

Quote:

Ordered 160 trees and bushes, to pick up on Thursday. My back hurts thinking about it now !

Here's a good one for your back:

I Remember planting 10,000 evergreen seedlings by hand with two other people. The best part was we planted them in the summer of 1988........the year of the Drought here in Michigan. It did not rain the whole summer. A week after planting the 10,000 seedlings we had to buy a 3" trash pump and irrigate from a small swamp on the property (no electric on the property). We irrigated until the swamp was pumped dry, then we just plain gave up and called it a loss. I believe we only lost a dozen or so trees. Now that was a back breaker. I'll take your 160 trees over that fiasco any day...LOL.
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 08:44:30 PM »

Wow... sounds like you have some work ahead of you. I enjoy building things (pens and such) though... so have fun!  :laugh: What are all the trees going to be for? along the game fence?

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 11:25:21 PM »

What are all the trees going to be for? along the game fence?

The main yard is (mostly, some more to do in the back yard) enclosed with chain link fence. Inside along the road/west side/creek, inside the chain link, I'll plant a row with about 8' spacing, the Colorado Blue Spruce. I ordered 80. Wife ordered 10 Ponderosa Pine. They will go into some bush that is included inside the chain link. (story goes with that little bush !)

Also have 50 Saskatoon bushes (average 16") to plant for the berries. We like to harvest them & freeze. Give them to the birds over the winter. Makes great jam as well !

She aslo ordered 10 Weeping Willow & 10 Golden Willow. Lord knows what else ! I should unhook the phone when not in the house !

The "Reeves" Empire continues to expand to the limits of our imagination.

I haven't bought a tractor yet, to plant weeds for Quail (yet) like some I know  :angel:

:laugh:
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 06:52:28 PM »

Weird weather !
Snowing like crazy this morning ! Big flakes. Had 2+" today, lawn covered. A couple hours later it's mostly gone. Really looking forward to summer !

I have ground to prep for the nearly 200 trees and bushes on Thurs & need some dry(er) weather to be able to plant in something other than mud.

Lottery, lottery, lottery ! I need to move to the south....!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 09:26:28 PM »

Lottery, lottery, lottery ! I need to move to the south....!

Yeh, well, 79+ miserable  :laugh: degrees today, kids are camping in a tent tonight if you can believe that?

You probably couldn't handle it Reeves, probably not enough leisure time down here for ya!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 09:44:13 PM »

You don't want to come down here, Reeves. I woke up this morning and walked outside in shorts and a t-shirt and it was 50 degrees! Talk about COLD!!!! Stay up there in warm canada  :laugh: Just giving you a hard time... hope it warms up soon up there  :angel: .

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 10:19:29 PM »

Funny ducks, eh !

But when it get to 200f down there you'll beg to visit me ! Summers way too hot down there !

You probably couldn't handle it Reeves, probably not enough leisure time down here for ya!

Don't take me all week to do a months work ! Gotta move faster up here to stay warm !

:laugh:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 10:24:02 AM »

Neighbors cow got out and left me a present, 3' deep x about 12' around!........

I imagine that Reeves has alot of this around his place!    :angel:

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 10:47:25 AM »

I've got a Golden Retriever that likes to chew on everything.....especially turtles. Here's what she drug in the other day.  I assume the turtles where against each other when the dog disturbed them. When they closed up, the ones foot was inside the others shell, I couldn't pull them apart for fear of damaging its leg, the one with the crushed foot wasn't happy.

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 02:50:21 PM »

Neighbors cow got out and left me a present, 3' deep x about 12' around!........

I imagine that Reeves has alot of this around his place! 

No cows allowed on my place ! And I really do not want one the size you have !
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »